Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can't breathe right... please help!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can't breathe right... please help!

Yesterday I went for soccer conditioning and I ran for 15 minutes (a little over two miles) without stopping and then we did an hour of stretching and and exersising and then another half mile. I really pushed myself and it had to be at least 90 degrees out. Now, a day later, I'm struggling to breathe correctly and i'm constantly out of breath. It seems like I even forget to breathe every couple of minutes and then I realize I'm gasping for air and I have to take really deep breaths and I'm still out of breath.  It's really starting to bother me because i'm only fifteen and I can't breathe normally. Is this just a side effect from pushing myself so hard out in the heat? I also felt really nauseous after working out yesterday.
That was one very tough workout.  Congratulations on getting yourself into such good physical condition.

If the shortness of breath and gasping has persisted, to any degree since you sent this message, you should definitely see a doctor and get a chest x-ray.  Several possibilities that could account for your symptoms come to mind:  1) acute muscle damage can occur as a result of intensive and/or sustained exercise.  When this occurs the muscles, including the respiratory muscles, may become temporarily weak.  This could make it hard for you to breathe.  Also with muscle damage, the damaged tissue can go to the kidneys and damage the kidneys, causing renal failure.  This might cause fluid to accumulate in your lungs.  See the abstract that follows.  This may not mean much to you but you should show it to your doctor; 2) you may have had collapse of all or part of one of your lungs, which is called pneumothorax and is common in young people; 3) with dehydration, blood clots can form in large veins and break loose and go to the lungs and this too could make you very short of breath; or 4) you could be experiencing exercise-induced asthma.

If you are still having trouble when you receive this message, you should immediately either see your doctor or go to the nearest emergency room.  You should show this message to whatever doctor you see.

Good luck.  Stay fit and never allow yourself to become dehydrated while engaged in strenuous exercise, especially on a hot day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title Myoglobinuria caused by exertional rhabdomyolysis misdiagnosed
as psychiatric illness.
Source Medical Science Monitor. 14(1):CS1-4, 2008 Jan.
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Rhabdomyolysis is severe and acute skeletal muscle damage resulting in sarcolemma disruption.  During injury, intracellular muscle contents are released into the plasma.  The consequences may cause hypovolemia, electrolyte abnormalities, compartment syndrome, or even acute renal failure and dialysis.
CASE REPORT: We present the history of a patient in whom exertional rhabdomyolysis was misdiagnosed.  A 20-year-old male police recruit was admitted to a psychiatric hospital because of complaints about black urine and severe thigh pain.  Serum creatinine kinase (CK) was significantly elevated at 87,335 U/l.  Urinalysis showed brown color and cloudiness.  Serum myoglobin was also significantly increased.  Aspartate aminotransferase was elevated as was alanine aminotransferase.  Immediate intravascular fluid hydration and hospital rest under renal, metabolic, and hematological monitoring was performed.
CONCLUSIONS: Gymnastic teachers and people at environmental risk of rhabdomyolysis, such as members of the armed forces, police, and supervisors of physical laborers, need to remember the risks of intensive and repetitive exercise.  Symptoms such as dark urine, myalgia, and muscle weakness should immediately arouse suspicion of rhabdomyolysis.  Especially dark-colored urine should always be investigated for the occurrence of rhabdomyolysis.