Respiratory Disorders Community
Cant stop Coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Cant stop Coughing

This happens on a yearly bases about the time that fall starts.  I will get a small cold that also has a cough but after a few days the cold is gone but the cough will stay for 5 or 6 months.  I am still cough up mucus but the cough is steady and is causing me to get headaches.  It is not as bad when I am resting in warm conditions but when I am at work in the cold weather it gets really bad.  Any help would be appreciated  
Sounds like it could be allergies or asthma that is triggered by cold weather. I would see your doctor, talk to him or her about your symptoms and when they arrive for you and from there, hopefully tests and treatment will come as a result. If it is asthma, there are many medications that can keep it under control. Also avoiding triggers is a good thing. Wear a scarf around your face to keep from breathing in the cold air directly. I can tell you from personal experience that cold air takes my breath away as well as makes my breathing worse. I have asthma along with CF so it can be tricky to control as a result.
I wear scarves over my mouth and try to breathe in through my nose whenever possible, the air seems to warm up better and be less irritating to my lungs (which spasms with cold air)
Good luck,
Jenn