Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Can't stop coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Can't stop coughing

I have had interstitual fibrosis for 3 years.During that time Ibeen on all types of medicines for this condition-Predisone 6 months-immurran 6 months-about 10 months on no medications-My case is called advanced b lung specialists, Last July I was lucky to get started on interferon gamma ib And since my tests have re mained the same or a little better although I am still very short of wind.I am on 10 liters or more when I walk and my mouth and throat are real dry and I cough a lot.I was wondering if there is some thing to help this condition.
I think.My bronchial tubes might be clogged be cause of drying from oxeygen and this causes a bad cough.
                         Thnk you ***@****
Oxygen delivery methods are the devices that get oxygen from the storage system to your body.  The most common way that oxygen is delivered is a small plastic tube called a cannula.  The cannula is placed under the nostrils and delivers oxygen to the airways.  Oxygen, especially at a high flow rate like 10 liters per minute, can be very drying.  Using a humidifier with your oxygen may help to lessen the drying effects.

When oxygen therapy is used continuously for a long time or a high flow rate is used, a transtracheal oxygen catheter may be recommended.  A thin tube is placed in your neck so oxygen is delivered directly into your windpipe or trachea.  For some people this method of oxygen delivery allows the flow rate to be lowered.  Talk with your doctor to see if this would be helpful for you.

If you need a high flow rate of oxygen or want to be very active, your doctor may consider an oxygen saving device for you.  These devices include reservoir or demand delivery.  Ask your doctor to see if you would be helped by one of these devices.

A cough can be a side effect of a group of medicines called ACE inhibitors.  It can also be due to post-nasal drip, gastro-esophageal reflux (GERD), and idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF).

IPF is one form of interstitial lung disease (ILD).  This causes inflammation or swelling that leads to scarring of the lungs in the area between the air sacs and the blood vessels.  The most common symptoms of ILD are shortness of breath with exercise and a dry cough.

Steroids like prednisone are frequently the first medicine used.  For a small percentage of people, steroids will help decrease the swelling.  This will cause a dramatic improvement.  However, some people experience only partial improvement with steroids.  The response to treatment is related to the type of ILD and the amount of swelling present.  Follow up chest x-ray, exercise tests, and pulmonary function tests will help evaluate if you have stabilized or improved.  Improvement may not be seen for 6 to12 weeks.

Steroids are the most widely used medicine.  When a person is not improving with steroids other medicines may be used.  One of these is Cytoxan