Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cartilage build up in chest??

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cartilage build up in chest??

I have been dealing with costochondritis for at least 4 months now, probably longer. I have gotten no relief. They are now calling it chronic costochondritis. My chest is constantly throbbing in pain and I feel as if my chest is being compressed. Its so tight and hard to breathe. I have to sleep on my stomach and when it gets really bad I have to lean forward for the breathing to get easier. I have seen a few different doctors. I am on tramadol for the pain, which it mildly helps. I am also on prednisone and before the prednisone I was on diclofenac. But nothing is working. I am just getting worse. The doctor I just seen yesterday says that I have cartilage building up in my chest and its not stopped. I have a ping pong ball sized lump in the bottom of my chest in the center on my sternum. It goes all the way up but not as bad. The ER doctor said I needed to see an orthopedic. That they need to give me injections. Well I called them and they told me they don't deal with chest stuff. So now Im stuck once again. Im so desperate for help. This is so frustrating and so painful. Please, please, any advice would be amazing.
Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that attaches the ribs to the breastbone.  Usually the cause is unknown.  For most people, it goes away in six months to a year;  however, for some people it remains a chronic condition.   Costochondritis is simply the swelling of the joints and  has absolutely nothing to do with your lungs and will not hurt them.  The best way to treat costochondritis is with rest, heat or ice on affected areas,  and anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin,  Ibuprofen (Advil), or naproxen (Aleve),  or prescription medications.   Prednisone does not get rid of the problem, but might control the acute inflammation.  It should not be taken for long periods of time.  I would find a physician that understands this disease and can work with you to help control the symptoms you are having on a chronic basis.