Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cassidy1227

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cassidy1227

i was told by my doctor  after having an  Xray because of the Flu" that the xray showed that my lungs were alittle large, She told me that i have the beggining stages of COPD or emphysema, i had a PFT last week that was excellent, all three reading were very good. I do smoke and have for about 15 yrs. i have cut back  the last three weeks and plan on being done within two more weeks, i'm now down to 9 a day instead of a whole pack, can i have "great PFT readings and still have Copd or the beginning of emphysema? thanks so much..
This is tricky.  If your PFTs results were in the high normal range that would be definitive proof that you do not have chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or emphysema.  If the results were "normal" or borderline, and at one time in the past were high normal, it is conceivable that you could have early COPD and still be declared to have normal PFTs.  Lungs that are a "little large" is a very soft finding.  Large lungs can also be seen with sub-optimally controlled asthma.

Bottom line – you cannot have "great PFT readings" and still have COPD.  The x-ray is an insensitive way to make the diagnosis.

Congratulations on your intent to stop smoking.  As the American Lung Association says, "It is a death-defying act."