Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest/Back Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest/Back Pain

So for about 2 1/2 months now I have been having chest pain in the center of my chest (sternum and right/left breast area), this pain is also in my lower back and reflective of the breast area. I have pain with movement, sitting still, and it sometimes rips me out of my sleep. At my worst about 21/2 weeks ago I finally went to the doctor. She believes I have Costochondritis. So she puts me on steroids, great relief first day and they continue to work throughout the 6 day dose, but pain isn't completely gone. I call we discuss doing chest x-ray.,.. chest x-ray comes back good. As of yesterday she referred me for PT because she believes it's still Costochondritis. How is PT done in the chest area ???? I requested a CT scan and am waiting to hear back from nurse about referral. Are there any other  tests or diagnosis's that may be what I have?
What you describe is consistent with the diagnosis of costo-chondritis and suggests that your doctor’s diagnosis and treatment were correct.  A variety of physical therapy techniques including manipulation, soft tissue mobilization and taping have been reported but none confirmed as definitive treatment.  The standard treatment of this generally self-limited disorder is rest and anti-inflammatory drugs, mostly non-steroidal drugs.

Based only on what you have described and given a normal chest X-ray, there would appear to be no indication for a CT  scan.

One caveat – the pain of coronary artery disease can present in a variety of ways.  If you are over the age of 40, you might ask your physician if any consideration should be given to this diagnosis.

Good luck