Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest/Back Pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest/Back Pain

So for about 2 1/2 months now I have been having chest pain in the center of my chest (sternum and right/left breast area), this pain is also in my lower back and reflective of the breast area. I have pain with movement, sitting still, and it sometimes rips me out of my sleep. At my worst about 21/2 weeks ago I finally went to the doctor. She believes I have Costochondritis. So she puts me on steroids, great relief first day and they continue to work throughout the 6 day dose, but pain isn't completely gone. I call we discuss doing chest x-ray.,.. chest x-ray comes back good. As of yesterday she referred me for PT because she believes it's still Costochondritis. How is PT done in the chest area ???? I requested a CT scan and am waiting to hear back from nurse about referral. Are there any other  tests or diagnosis's that may be what I have?
242587_tn?1355427710
What you describe is consistent with the diagnosis of costo-chondritis and suggests that your doctor’s diagnosis and treatment were correct.  A variety of physical therapy techniques including manipulation, soft tissue mobilization and taping have been reported but none confirmed as definitive treatment.  The standard treatment of this generally self-limited disorder is rest and anti-inflammatory drugs, mostly non-steroidal drugs.

Based only on what you have described and given a normal chest X-ray, there would appear to be no indication for a CT  scan.

One caveat – the pain of coronary artery disease can present in a variety of ways.  If you are over the age of 40, you might ask your physician if any consideration should be given to this diagnosis.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker