Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest "Crackling"

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest "Crackling"

After I had my second son, I was home for about a month, and I noticed when I went to bed one night that my chest was crackling. When I exhaled completely with my mouth open, I could hear a crackling sound like if I had Pop Rocks in my mouth. I woke my husband up in a panic, but he couldn't understand what it could be. I coughed what felt like fluid up for about a half hour, then I was finally able to get to sleep. I never saw a doctor about this incident.

Last night, this happened to me again. I was feeling fine all day until I coughed really hard, and my throat started to hurt. (between my throat and my lungs) The pain was there for the rest of the night, and after I was asleep for a few hours, I woke up to the same crackling as before. Every time I breathed out, I had to cough. It felt like I had fluid to cough up, but nothing ever came.   I saw a doctor this morning, and he said my throat looked very red, like I have been smoking, but I don't smoke. He said he couldn't tell me why the crackling was there.

Is this something I should be worried about, and get a specialist to look at, or is it something similar to a cold? Whatever it is, the crackling is really freaking me out. It doesn't seem normal to me.

Thank you very much.
Tags: crackling
It is not immediately obvious what this condition might be, but it clearly warrants further investigation by a lung specialist.  It is tempting to relate the onset of your symptoms to pregnancy, a cause and effect relationship, but no diagnosis comes readily to mind.  What you have could be a rare condition and the diagnosis of it may require a CT scan of the lungs and additional testing.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Pneumonia Aftermath? was started.