Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest "Crackling"

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest "Crackling"
After I had my second son, I was home for about a month, and I noticed when I went to bed one night that my chest was crackling. When I exhaled completely with my mouth open, I could hear a crackling sound like if I had Pop Rocks in my mouth. I woke my husband up in a panic, but he couldn't understand what it could be. I coughed what felt like fluid up for about a half hour, then I was finally able to get to sleep. I never saw a doctor about this incident.

Last night, this happened to me again. I was feeling fine all day until I coughed really hard, and my throat started to hurt. (between my throat and my lungs) The pain was there for the rest of the night, and after I was asleep for a few hours, I woke up to the same crackling as before. Every time I breathed out, I had to cough. It felt like I had fluid to cough up, but nothing ever came.   I saw a doctor this morning, and he said my throat looked very red, like I have been smoking, but I don't smoke. He said he couldn't tell me why the crackling was there.

Is this something I should be worried about, and get a specialist to look at, or is it something similar to a cold? Whatever it is, the crackling is really freaking me out. It doesn't seem normal to me.

Thank you very much.
It is not immediately obvious what this condition might be, but it clearly warrants further investigation by a lung specialist.  It is tempting to relate the onset of your symptoms to pregnancy, a cause and effect relationship, but no diagnosis comes readily to mind.  What you have could be a rare condition and the diagnosis of it may require a CT scan of the lungs and additional testing.
A related discussion, Pneumonia Aftermath? was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker