Respiratory Disorders Community
Chest Pain, not sure of the cause

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chest Pain, not sure of the cause

It started about 3 months ago.  I was a little sick with a runny nose and a sneeze and I went for a run in cold weather and pushed myself harder than usual.  I didn't feel any pain immediately but the next day I had a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of my chest which lasted for about 5 minutes.  Later that night I had a dull pain in the center of my chest, which got progressively worse for the next few weeks.  The pain increases when I take a full breath or exhale fully, and it increases when I exercise.  Also when I run it feels like my lungs are unable to inhale fully.  The doctors checked out my heart and lungs and said they looked fine, one doctor told me it was costochondritis, and another told me it was heartburn.  I doubt it's either of those things, it really feels like a respiratory problem.  I thought it might be asthma but I did a test where I exhale through a tube for 10 seconds or so and they said my lungs were above average.  Then I thought it might be exercise induced asthma, but I never cough or wheeze at all, it's just the inability to inhale fully and pain.  Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the spirometry testing was normal, its unlikely you have asthma. If you had cough, the constant coughing could cause muscle strain and chest pain. Sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain with coughing. Sometimes it can be costochondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. Due to pain you may have problems inhaling or exhaling. As the infection/ inflammation subsides, your breathing should improve. If it persists consult your doctor for an evaluation. You can use OTC Acetaminophen for relief from pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thanks for the info.  I guess it could just be inflammation, it just doesn't seem normal that it would last for 3 months.  I haven't had any sort of cough during this time either.  It's alright most of the time while resting, but anytime I exercise it seems to come back.  I suppose I'll just take it easy for a while and see if my body takes care of itself.