Respiratory Disorders Community
Chest/Throat Tightness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chest/Throat Tightness

Two weeks ago I was fine.....throat felt a little scratchy and ears a little itchy....went to MD and got Zithromax.  Finished this antibiotic.  Started coughing shortly after taking the antibiotics.  Went back to the MD and she said that my lungs were clear but there was hardly no air movement so she gave me ProAir Inhaler and said that I might have asthma.  Another week went by and still have a dry cough, coughing nothing up.  Finished a Medrol Dose Pack (steroid).....they seemed to make me feel bad though, almost like I was going to faint after I would take them.  Still not better after two weeks of this.  Finally went to the ER and said it was probably bronchospasms.  Gave me a breathing treatment.  Chest xray was clear.  Neck and throat xrays were ok too.  Went to the Pulomonologist the next day and my PFT was abnormal, so it was pretty clear to him that my problem was in the upper airway.  I do have a funny feeling in the my throat on the right side like something is in it....it kinda feels like my tonsil is hanging half way down my throat or something.  I have been on Dulera for a week now and still have the same tight feeling in my upper airway and chest....I'm scared to death.  I do have an appointment with an Asthma/Allergy specialist this week.   HELP!!!!  What in the world could be causing this tightness in my throat and chest?  It almost feels like the swelling in my throat comes and goes.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cough, chest tightness and breathlessness the three symptoms mentioned by you are the triad of symptoms for Asthma. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a sputum culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to. He may even ask for repeat blood tests. Lung function tests will help to diagnose. In the meantime try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.