Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest Tightness, Cough, Congestion!! What to do??
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chest Tightness, Cough, Congestion!! What to do??

Hello All,
Thank you for reading my post.  I have had horrible chest congestion, chest tightness, and a cough (both dry and productive, yellow and clear).  I don't normally suffer from allergies, and was also tested for asthma (which was negative).  I already did a course of antibiotics, z-pack, and have been on decongestants too.  Nothing seems to help.  This problem has persisted for 14 weeks now, and originally I though it would go away, but it just doesn't.  My symptoms do NOT get worse with exercise, but I do tend to feel more tightness when I awake, am sitting, and at night.  One doctor believes I have post-nasal drip, and I've begun to take Flonase, which has helped a little with my stuffiness, but not the chest tightness.  I do not suffer from GERD, or asthma.  Also, I was given an inhaler, ProAir HFA albuterol, and that temporarily relieves the breathing issues, but the tightness remains.  

I guess I'm wondering what else could be causing this?  I am in very good health overall, am 23 years old, and can't think of any other reason why this would persist for such a long time.  I'm planning to see a pulmonology doctor this week...any thoughts?

Thanks,
Josh