Respiratory Disorders Community
Chest X-Rays and a Chronic Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chest X-Rays and a Chronic Cough

Two weeks ago I got a couple of chest x-rays because of a cough I had since last August. The technician told me it'll take 2-3 days for the scans to come in. I have heard anything since...from my primary physician or the radiology center I was at. Does that mean I'm fine? I'm seeing my doctor this Tuesday which is normal...I see him every two weeks since I am weaning off of my medication. But I'm sure if there was something wrong they would call right away, right? This cough isn't getting in the way of my daily life...it usually stops when I m working out, eating, or busy with something. I assume it's allergies, but I'm not 100% sure. Nothing hurts...I do have a pinched muscle from coughing, but other than that there are no other symptoms. It's a dry cough...no mucus and it's no whooping cough. I can breathe fine. My doctor checked my lungs three times since August and they're always clear. If these x-rays come back normal than I may have to get tested in other ways. Maybe get blood work done or my sinuses. :-/
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If there was any acute abnormality on the Xrays, they would have called you earlier for an evaluation. The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the wind pipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
That's what my doctor said. The x-rays came out normal and he thinks it is allergies or acid reflux and I happen to have both. So he told me to take prevacid once a day and he recommended an allergy medication that you can buy over the counter.

Thanks for responding to my post! Everything is normal with my lungs. :)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For the acid reflux along with medications you can try lifestyle measures. Take frequent small meals. Eat dinner about two hours before sleeping. Elevate the head end of the bed. Keep a food diary and note down what aggravates your symptoms and avoid them. Ensure to maintain optimum weight by regular exercise. Avoid non steroidal  anti inflammatory medications NSAID's, quit smoking, eliminate alcohol and reduce stress levels. These measures need to be practiced long term for results. Hope this helps!!