Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest Xray and Lung question

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest Xray and Lung question

Hello

I am an ex smoker of almost a year now. I smoked about 15 yrs. I have always worried about the damage I have done but know that I cannot turn back time so I try to just be happy I quit and move ahead.

I have had 3 chest xrays over the past year ( I have a herniation in 2 areas so I've had back and chest xrays). I was always pleased to read that "lungs appear clear" yet in my non-smoking group (QuitNet) someone said I shouldn't be happy about that because only a cat scan of the lungs will show tumors not chest xrays.

Is this true? Is a chest xray not accurate?

Karen
You should be
No one has a response to my question?
You are right to question a "clear" x-ray. So much depends on the radiologist's interpretation. Not to mention, if something did show up on the x-ray, you may not have been told. Unfortunately, things fall through the cracks, so you must always be proactive in your health. Congraulations on quitting smoking, you should be proud of yourself! You are probably fine, but it is always good to have peace of mind.  Take care!
hi ! i have been having this pain in my left side in the back lobe lung area.this has went on now for about a year.I remember when it started hurting and just got worse especially when i do my job of 8 years as a hair designer.anyway, i went to the doctor thinking it was my back but guess what the did alot of exrays and 1 MRI and saw nothing .I wtarted crying because they made me feel as if nothing was wrong at all with me ,that i was trying to get pain killers. well the pain really didn't get worse but its is painful when i wake in the morning not at all during the day and some at night but mostly the early morning rise kills me!!! The reason of bringing myself to this site is i was thinking this morning before i got out of bed that I used claen houses in between of doing hair for extra money.i was thinking of the chemicals i used plus being a smoker.i also remember getting a bad cheast infection 2 years ago and now that i think about it i have had some sort of cough exesive thick mucas and weezing when i take a deep breath.one doctor told me i definetly had asthamatic broncitits.i have been on antibiotics and different cough medicenes because i would have this dry itchy drip during the night as i slept.to make a comment about the doctors at the clinic if the see something unusal i don't think they will say any thing either.i saw a huge white mass on one of my exrays and i saw the nurse point to it and i was very worried .she said not to that it was only gas. so i wake up every morning scared i am gonna die at an early age with some sort of cancer.i have 2 beautiful children and a great husband.i am just so sick of being sick.I keep putting off going to the pulmonalogist because i think you have to have a referal and i am scared of what they may tell me .any suggestions.sorry  this was so long.
Aw please don't worry too much. Call your doctor and discuss your fears, if he/she doesn't listen go to another and tell them. Don't quit until you have someone to tell you things are okay and they have done a good exam. I know how you feel, I just quit smoking and getting sick is a huge fear for me. I wish I could take back those years but I can't. I know for me I take extra selenium and vitamin E, they are antioxidants and can help keep your lungs a bit healthier.

Keep on it, mostly to ease your mind because that can make you sick as well with worrying so much. Good luck to you.