Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest and Throat pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest and Throat pain

I have been having this feeling in my throat for about 2 weeks now. It started with a small, lumpy feeling in my throat. Now that feeling has progressed to pain in my chest. The pain starts at the base of my throat where I feel that lumpy feeling down to about the middle of my sternum. I have constant pain and it radiates more to the right side of my body. I also had some pain in my shoulder. It also have the feeling in my throat and chest of having run really hard, but this is at rest. It is like a cool feeling with the pain. Also, when I sleep, I wake up with the pain still there, and also with weird feelings in my arms like they have fallen asleep or the circulation is not great. I have been to the doctor, no wheezing or odd sounds that they can tell. He prescribed Bextra and an inhaler, but these are not helping. The pain is constant and very uncomfortable. I don't know whether this is cardiac or pulmonary. I do get pains on the sides of my chest in my lung area and these pains in my chest radiate to my spine. Like my spinal bones are hurting too. I can't stand feeling this way anymore. The doc ordered blood tests to check my thyroid function too...just waiting on those. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have a histroy of MVP, hiatal hernia, and GERD. Had my gallbladder removed in April 2002. Also have pain in upper right quadrant area. Thanks...

You should have a thorough evaluation, first of your throat since that is where the pain began, but also of your chest and spine.  This could be an unusual or atypical pain of heart disease or gastroesophageal reflux.  It could also be referred pain, due to compression of a nerve.  Make sure that your doctor is aware of all of these symptoms.  If your doctor knows you well, he/she will be the best person to interpret these symptoms and order the tests most likely to provide an answer.
1 Comment
A related discussion, throat and chest pain was started.