Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest congestion and weekness

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest congestion and weekness

Hello, I am a 42 year old male non smoker. For the past 8 weeks I have been feeling overly tired and have days were the weakness and mild lightheadedness is so bad that I need to lay down most of the day and on two occasions for 2 to 3 days  The days that I feel the worst I usually have a mild headache and occasionally some mild nausea.  For the past week or so I also have had a slight congested feeling in my lungs mostly when taking a deep breath
I have been to the ER once and they did a lot of blood work looking for heat related ailments, liver and kidney function, my white blood cell count was the only thing that came back as high all other levels were normal.  I had a chest X-ray and an EKG and both came back normal.

I have been to my primary doctor three times and have had additional blood work done on two of these visits, both returned normal results.  The first visit was a follow-up from the ER, the second visit the doctor said it could be stress related and to rest and ease back into normal activity.  The last visit he gave me a normal physical exam listened to my lungs and heart and re reviewed my prior test results.   He is drawing a blank all blood test are normal he does not think it is a heart issue due to the normal blood test and EKG and no chest pains or other symptoms.

What should I do at this point, should I seek a second opinion, should I ask for a second chest x-ray as it has been 6-7 weeks since the last one and I did not have the congested feeling when the first one was taken, should I request a CT scan, lung function test, or stress test?
Based upon your symptoms it is unlikely that a breathing problem is the cause.  Your description sounds more like chronic fatigue syndrome or some type of low-grade infection.  There should be direct follow-up on the high white blood cell count.  The symptoms you describe could also occur with depression or anxiety.  Check with your doctor to be sure you have not ingested or are not continuing to ingest a toxic substance.
I have had another EKG and it shows a right bundle branch block, is this somthing to be concerned with