Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest pain, Back Pain, Difficulty Breathing.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

New years eve i was sleeping. Phone rang. Jumped up becasue it scared me. My heart started racing. Had to go hopital. My heart rate was 192 beats per min. They said it was SVT. Had to give me injection to make it go back to sinus rythum. Few days later started to develop central chest pain that shoots off to the left. Doctor said its muscular. Few weeks later pains are worse. Feel a little ill. Nagging pain in upper chest sternum that radiates to left and right and feeling a litle short of breath. Starting to loose weight. One day at work i felt either a spasm or rapture in the upper chest area that stoppted my breathing for a few seconds. And that changed my short of breath into hard to breath. i also developed back pain. and that hurts when i breath. I am not sleeping well. I was a smoker previosly. Initally it was thought that i had blood clots in the lungs so they started me on blood thinners. Few weeks later they did repeat VQ scan which showed low probability for blood clots. Had CT HRCT CTPA of lungs all good. Had broncoscopy all good. Had holer moniter, stress echo, stress cardio/pulminary all good. Had many other test and i am worried. its exhusting me, constant pains in chest/lung area, hard to breath, pains in back. Any suggestions?
The negative/normal test results you cite strongly suggest that you have no serious disease of your heart, lungs, chest or major blood vessels.  That covers all the important organs and other structures within your chest.  The characteristics of the chest and back pain you continue to experience are most consistent with what we call musculoskeletal pain, a type of pain that is associated with strain of the muscles, tendons, ligaments, cartilage or other structures related to the bony spine.  The strain may have even occurred when you quickly “jumped-up” in response to the phone ringing.

Your story also suggests that you continue to experience anxiety about the rapid heart beat (“heart started racing”) and your doctor’s suggestion that you might have had blood clots to your lungs.  You have been through a lot and it would not be surprising that you would continue to worry the pain is an indication of a serious, even life-threatening problem, even when all the tests confirm that, with the exception of the musculoskeletal pain/strain, you have no serious disease.  You may be able to get relief of the pain with the use of medication, such as Motrin, but please check with your doctor on this before you start any such therapy.  

Anxiety or worry, especially about one’s body, can make any pain worse than it would otherwise be.  An anti-anxiety medication, prescribed by your doctor, could also help.  My other advice is that you do your best to remain physically active (to the extent that the physical activity does not worsen your pain) and remain mentally active.  The more time you have for the pain to be your primary focus, the worse it is likely to feel.

Finally, any type of chest pain, especially sharp pain can stop one’s breathing for a moment or two but I can assure you that such pain will not stop your breathing to the extent that you would be in danger of stopping breathing.

Do check with your doctor about medication for pain and anxiety, avoid heavy lifting or any activity that could strain the chest wall structures, for the time being, and do your best to get on with the normal activities of your life.  Should the pain worsen, either in frequency, intensity or quality (a different kind of pain, altogether), contact your doctor without delay.

Good luck