Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chest pain when taking deep breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chest pain when taking deep breath

Hi! Help!

For the past month or so, I have experienced minor pain in my chest when I inhale very deeply. The pain only starts at the end of the breath, not at the very beginning (i.e. when my lungs are pretty filled up). However, I function normally, I am a regular jogger, and only occasionally use a rescue inhaler (I do have fairly mild exercise and allergy - induced asthma). I am a 24 y/o female. I was a smoker until last September, at which point I quit completely.  My seasonal allergies were especially bad this past month (really bad allergy season up here in Boston). Should I be concerned about this lung pain, or should I just chalk it up to allergy irritation, or something else?

Thanks!
Pain like this can be from the lungs, muscles or nerves along the outside of the lung.  If it is persistent and is a problem, it may be a good idea to see your doctor.  A thorough examination may give the answer.  A chest x-ray might be needed, as well.
I am not a doctor, but i had the same problem once and it also hurt in my upper back too. But I had a pulled muscle, you might have that checked out at first the dr. thought i had what they call plearisy ( not sure about the spelling) It is when you have a friction rub in your your lungs upon deep breath, he said it usually happens prior to pneumonia or tb or some sort of lung infection, and said it usually last a few days to a few weeks...but mine was about 3 months, and ended up just being a pulled muscle and was location in my upper back and had to have a trigger point injection, (it also hurt some in the front too, but you may check it out for both.
I had a very similar experience.. about six months ago I started having chest pains only at the very end of inhaling.. after several appointments and xrays etc we discovered that I have asthma, and emphysema.. my doctor didn't hear anything abnormal when listening to my breathing, and I had no other symptoms.. so I would suggest you get that checked out (I thought it was just anxiety and who know what kind of trouble I would be in now if I hadn't looked into it.
At 24 you do not have emphysema, you do however need to stop smoking, they do not agree with you if you are having these problems at such a young age.

Keep up the excersise too, this will pass.

Eros.
I've also been experiencing the same symptoms as you. I had a pretty bad cough that lasted for about 3 weeks but now has fully subsided, still have nasal congestion and the pain on the left side of my chest.It's not difficult to breathe when i exercise or sleep, just when i touch it or breathe deeply. I went to the doctors a few days ago, and he told me i pulled my muscle pretty badly, probably by coughing so much or (I've also been doing weight training). He told me to rest and stretch a bit. Also ibuprofen helps with the inflammation.
A related discussion, pain was started.
A related discussion, mild Chest pain was started.
A related discussion, answer was started.
A related discussion, chest pain was started.
I'm 19.5 my chest pain started today when i woke up. Hurts when I breathe in deeply. It felt better when I was having a smoke - i didnt feel any pain. I thought it might be from lack of sleep or exhaustion?
A related discussion, respiratory pain was started.
A related discussion, hi was started.
A related discussion, left side chest pain while taking deep breath was started.