Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Choking

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Choking

I am waking up at night and choking and i can't breathe, i start to grasp for air, last night was the worst one yet, I really thought I was going to die last night, and so did all my family, they freaked out. Help this is so very scary, now for days & nights I will think about this, and worry about when it going to happened again, cause its like you know its going to happen again, :( help,,,
When symptoms like this occur just once or twice at night, it is difficult to tell exactly what happened.  The most likely cause is that there was drainage from the sinuses that drained down the back of the throat that caused you to wake up choking.  This could occur from exposure to some irritants during the evening or at night which caused the drainage to occur.  If this was an infection, you would probably see some symptoms during the day, as well.  If this was asthma, you probably would have wheezed and coughed and it would have lasted a while until you took medications.  If this is still a concern, I would recommend seeing your physician and make sure no other problem is going on.