Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic Cough - What is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic Cough - What is it?

I am in need of help.  Dr. hasn't found out what is wrong with me.  I quit smoking in January of this year.  I developed a cough after I quit - didn't have one when smoking - had a sinus infection and others.  Was on bactrim, levaquin, z-pack and augmentin.  Also was put on the 6,5,4,3,2,1, oral predisone 3 different times but cough still persists.  Developed swollen area on left side of face.  Catscan was fine for parotid area but did pick up a difusely enlarged thryoid and enlarged chain lymph node.  Last visit dr. felt enlarged nodes on both of my collar bones although right side is larger than left.  Cough still persists and is getting worse. Had chest xray that came back clear save a heart that is on the larger side of normal.   Have had blood drawn a couple of times.  WBC was up first time as well as platelets at 583 the first time and 488 the next time.  I developed high blood pressure this year and at first was put on lisinopril - taken off because thought it could be the culprit put on losartan 100 mg and 25 mg of hydrocholothiazide.  Cough still persists taken off losartan because 1 in 1000 develop cough and put on amlodipine besylate 10 mg.  A chest cat scan ordered and am awaiting results. Everytime doctor listens to chest it is clear no wheezing etc.. She gave me an albuterol inhaler that does little good.  Prescribed advair - took tonight for first time - don't know if it has to build up but, doesn't seem to have done any good.  I break out into a sweat periodically throughout the day and at other times I am freezing.  I have swollen legs at times.  I run a low grade fever off an on.   My one lab test revealed an elevated tsh level but, when t4 run it was normal.  Next time tsh was normal.   What is this?    I am looking for answers.  Please help me find an answer.  I am exhausted all the time and I never feel well.  Thank you.
Additionally, I had a pulmonary function test that came back normal for age and gender.  Thanks