Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic Cough 4 years now, Desperate for help. Seeking at all forums as...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic Cough 4 years now, Desperate for help. Seeking at all forums as no one knows.

DESPERATELY in need of HELP! PLEASE - I have a chronic cough (4 years now)I had CT Scans of sinus, throat, had Bravo Ph done twice, numerous Allergy tests, Asthma tests, chest X-ray, antibiotics, different Acid Reflux medications for months at a time. All test negative. No one can figure out why I cough.
**I cough only when upright! After every meal and out of the blues with or without liquids, just anytime. I do have quiet moments that will last for hours but the my coughing fit out of the blues. The coughing fits last about an hour, cough starts off dry then sometimes movement after coughing for 30 min & sometimes cough little stuff (white). I sleep quite well, no coughing, no disturbance, perfect night sleep. Numerous ENT, Gas, lung doctors last 4 years with no help. Allerx & Ah Chew helps calm it down but not cure or take away completely. No other medication helps. NONE. HELP SOMEBODY. No doctors here has helped, St Johns, UCLA, Cedars. Cough meds do not help, I need a cure to live a normal life. THANK YOU!!! Numberous meds from Antibiotics, allergy pills Acid Refulx and nothing helps. thank you.  My medical file is quite extensive, I have 1/2 of them and no can help.
hi, i am so sorry you are going through this.  i have also posted a message asking for help to figure out what the hell is wrong with my chronic cough situation which is weird & undiagnosable as well.  it is very frustrating when doctors are useless to help someone!  i hope we find the answers we deserve soon.  best of luck to you.
I am presently going through about the same thing.  PET scan showed it to be a tumor in the lung, i.e., cancer.  Then the radiologists found a scan I had had 3 years ago which showed the exact same thing.  They cancelled the biopsy I was to have the next morning.  Now, nothing.    So, good luck, HelpinLA.  I would also like an answer to all of this!
I am so sorry to hear you people. My dad is going through the same for a few years now, I have consulted the best Cardiologist & ENT in down. But all vain. I wonder what should we do? Can anyone suggest?
I have had undiagnosed cough for nearly six years now.  I had an operation about two years ago that required pain relief after care.  The codeine in the pills seemed to stop this irritating constant cough.  However I don't want to continue digesting codeine because the health problems  would far out way the coughing.
So still coughing.  Wake up cough and cough and cough then a little white stuff, nose drip and  its triggered again and sleep seems always interupted.  One Professor at a leading Melbourne (Australia) hospital ran all the usual test allergies, asthma etc etc and finally suggested if the codeine works, use it to calm the irritated throat down so that the area could have a chance to heal.  He said it would be time to keep of the grass.
GOOD LUCK..
For those of us (you) out there that have this cough and you don't have asthma, you don't have allergies, acid reflux, or GERD and you've taken numerous pills, tests etc. let me know, contact me via this website (you can send emails).  We're putting our heads together and hopefully Power By Numbers someone can find something and share it with the group.

Sometime when someone post I get a notice, so try to click on my name and see if you can send me a message.
I have exact same issue. No diagnosis and am healthy. No type of doc has a clue as to how to stop the cough. If you get any answers let me know. I will do the same.
I have had this damned cough for over 10 years now :(

And I have gone through every test and CT scan and ph reflux tests imaginable.  The latest is that I may have a bit of refulx -- not necessarily acid -- irritating my lower esophagus for which my pulmonologist recommends a surgery.  I'm hesitant to take this route because I show no signs of heartburn and certainly don't want to cut myself without any guarantee that the cough will go away.
December 2, 2010
For cough:
make half a glass of onion juice and warm the juice,
add ginger powder and honey,
and drink it slowly.
This will help the cough.
Do not eat banana when you have cough.

Let me know how you feel after 3 days.
Allergies shoukd be the main thing to look at but traditional testing is unreliable.

These allergys (allergies) do not enter via the blood stream, so 1st check if they are inhaled.

I am retired NAET allergy practitioner but would suggest the following things to check as top priority.
Perfume  
(anything that smells includng air freshners, flowers, soap powder and softner, anything with a strong smell, they will all come under this heading)

Mould (wose during autumn and winter or damp house)

Grass (worse in the spring and summer)

Dust mites  (worse at night)

Feathers in Pillows and duvets

House Dust

Smoke

Apart from smoke, all the rest are very important, and you could even a combination such as dust mite and feathers,(but again, coughing would be mostly at night)

You have to go by the clues, and tests.
Last thought check eggs.

Most vaccines use eggs in the making process, if you become allegic to egg, then every vaccine you get makes it worse and chicken and feathers are also a problem.

Hope this helps every one.

Perfume  

Grass (worse in the spring and summer)

Dust mites  (worse at night)

Feathers in Pillows and duvets

House Dust

Smoke

You have to go by the clues, and tests.
Last thought check eggs.

Hope this helps every one.

I know what this is but no doctors will take me seriously...I do have a 4.0gpa in all of my med classes so I have no idea why they will not test my father for this but I am pretty sure he and all of you have either TB or another related germ which causes Hansen's disease/leprosy..now days the symptoms may be a bit different than in ancient times...most people are immune to catching these type of bacteria but this bacteria is everywhere so the doctors need to actually be testing the snot and the sputum for these related types of bacteria....I have been right about many different diagnosis in the past when most doctors were not even looking at the symptoms/signs as the way I look at them. I am a very methodical organised person and I don't always follow the general rule of thumb...good luck finding any doctor to test for this or any doctor open minded enough to even listen to you...my advice is go for strong herbs and spices and put them into everything you can eat or drink or gag down as most american's are not used to these tastes. I would also be using a lot of garlic and  onion esp heirloom medicinal grade type...I love to grow wheat grass and then juice it with some filtered water and honey it tastes good and it is one of the most healthy food items available in this earth...I would also go to the health food store and buy some pleurisy root extract or a combo extract and put drops into my tea or coffee or water each day if I had this problem...I have overcame so many things in my life and I can tell you strong natural foods do work by killing germs and nourishing the body so it can fight for itself...good luck everyone and God Bless...and remember you must be a doer not just a hearer only or I don't see how you will make any progress...hope this helps
I wanted to come back here and expand on my 1st comment I had to create an acct here first...if you take my advice from above pls also get a NATURAL probiotic not the kind you buy in a pill form but rather 100% organic yogurt...also get a water tester and be drinking alkaline water most water is acidic and every single person who is sick also has an acid overload well people do not have an acid overload and our bodies are primarily water so common sense dictates that we NEED to have quality water in our bodies not the bottle water or the tap water!!! Also, keep in mind as to date us health professionals only know what causes disease are from a few sources only....1 parasites 2 fungus 3 virus 4 bacteria 5 autoimmune disease/cancer and now we have this new thing the cdc calls Morgellon's disease and I believe this in a nanotechnology type of fiber coming to us from our food and beauty products from China...the fibers are not alive yet not dead and are even more freaky than a virus which uses your cells to reproduce its self...if you have chronic coughing you may also have boils or reoccurent skin rashes/infections this may be  Chronic Granulomatous Disease which is an autoimmune disease in the dna of the cells....Inflammation accompanies every disease as does acidity so my advice is still the strong herbs and spices and all that I have said because these type of NATURAL things are what nourishes our body so our body can turn off its mutated dna in a cell and activate the good in the cell...get really serious about you eating and sleeping habits and make sure to walk everyday...also most people do NOT get 3 complete rem cycles of sleep per night which is actually what the body requires to heal...I go to bed at 9:30pm and wake up automatically with NO alarm clock at 6:30...this is how God created our bodies to be natural get  out of the rat race and the traditions of men and get you some REAL sleep some REAL food/medicine and some REAL HEALTHY excercise=walking and you will go from death sucking on a life saver to being back to your normal healthy body weight and normal healthy self...this advice has worked for me and everyone who has listened to me and each person has had a different dis-ease that we call disease...pls don't post back to me untill you have followed my instructions before you claim its not working for you...also I can't stress enough how massage and the sounds of nature can just boost your seritonin thru the roof and well people have much seritonin and usually a good complexion...Anyhow this is my advice take it or leave it...
I have been coughing for years; some periods have been worse than others. I have been on pumps for asthma, cortisone sprays for sinusitis and have tried many other strategies and seen specialists. But FINALLY this month I figured it all out. I cut out dairy for just a day or two and my coughing fits stopped immediately. But...when I ate cookies for example, the tightness in the chest, tickle in the throat all came back and the coughing started up again with a vengeance. So then I cut out all wheat and dairy...and I have gone for days without coughing at all. But as soon as I had some wheat, coughing started...and wheat with sugar (cookies, pastry etc..), the coughing was really bad. Solution: Cut out wheat and dairy. Cutting out dairy is not so bad. I drink almond milk which is lower cal and higher calcium than milk and tastes delicious in coffee and tea. The wheat is harder because I do like a toast in the morning and crackers and other bread and pastry products...which I do NOT need anyway. Cereals are really no good for you anyway but if this is a child with the condition, then maybe Rice Krispies or Puffed Rice is okay. It just may be a gluten intolerance.
My grandson's behaviour has improved dramatically since he has gone on a gluten free diet. Good luck to all out there who are plagued with persistent cough. Thank GOD finally for a cure!
Robin in Montreal
I have experienced exactly the same thing.  Cut the dairy...lose the cough.  The last 10 years or so have been frutrating being subject to enough chest X-rays to start glowing, poked with needles for allergy testing, inhaling a multitude of steroids...only to learn that cow's milk is the culprit.  When people hear milk issues they think, lactose and they think cramps.  I have been milk free for a month and cough free for 3 1/2 weeks.
I am very sorry for all couch sufferers here. Maybe my experience helps. My mother had a cronic (chronic) cough that started quietly during the day and by the  evening it was unbearable. Doctors told her it was nothing, Gave her antibiotics etc. Nothing helped.
Then after 6 months I just couldn't see her suffering anymore and buried myself in books. I decided it was food/vitamin related. So what could she loose. She stopped all her medication and vitamins and went on a full vegetable diet.
After 3 days she was much better. Vinegar, yoghurt (not homeade natural yoghurt), cranberry juice and acidic fruits set her cough off. It seemed the really culperate was the cranberry juice, which she had been drinking for about 6 months. A new flavour she discovered.
My advice is try to get of all vitamin pills and begin a vegeatbel diet. Vegetables are pretty neutral. (not fruit). If you see an improvement introduce food slowly after all the coughing has gone. You will be surprised by the results. The things they are putting into the food these days is terrible. Or bodys feeling the effects and becoming more sensitive to additives.
Anyway, I hope this helps. Get better soon.
I too have an undiagnosable  chronic cough. It is a dry cough. I quit smoking almost 5 years ago, have had a Nissen Fundiplcation to help with acid reflux, taken many asthma and COPD meds with no results. I've had EKGS, CT's, chest x-rays, blood tests, allergy tests, etc. I've been told that I had spots in my lungs at different times and in different places, but no one seems to know what causes them or why they move. Cough syrups, Tessalon Pearls and other meds don't seem to help. (or at least not for long) I also have shortness of breath at times.

I tried the GERD diet - where you cut out almost all spices and anything very spicy. It didn't do much good. I tried not eating dairy, that didn't help. I tried giving up meat, that didn't help. I don;t know what to do except keep on with the meds and trying to pace myself on everyday life. Oh and moving around makes my cough worse. If anyone has any answers, I'd love to hear them.
I also have been plagued with this same strange cough. I live in Las Vegas, and the cough usually begins every fall after a mild cold/flu. The cough then lasts for months. I do not cough when I sleep (but I do use a C-PAP, so the air is filtered.) I begin coughing shortly after getting up in the morning, and the cough seems to get worse in the evening. It is productive, and I feel like I have a huge ball of phlegm in my throat and if I could just get one really good cough, I could cough it up.
I've seen every type of Dr from an internist, to an ENT, a pulmonologist,  an allergist (currently). None of them seem to really know what to do. I use nasal washes, and that does help for a while (an hour or so) and then it starts again. Sometimes I cough so much I get really bad headaches. Then as soon as the temperature gets to ~ 90 degrees (Late May-early June) the cough stops as suddenly as it started. Any info from anyone with similar issues who has had success with any treatment would be greatly appreciated..
I have assimilation cough, ten years. All tests negativa, exceptionellt as light indikation On reflux. Reflux tablets dosent make any difference though.

Codeine helps. But my doctor doesn't want me take it longer than 2-3 weeks, but it almost stops then. He speculates it might indicate its a bad habit.

I wanted to lose weight four years ago, and had a VLCD cure, soups three times a day for 10 weeks. After 6-7 weeks the cough disappeared. Supports it is reflux.

My best shots after ten years of coughing :-) I think it's reflux, but to subtle for tablets to help.

hi - if it makes you feel any better i've had same for about 12yrs now and have even been to see a Professor at the Royal Brompton  Hospital in London prior to emigrating to Aus....all to no avail - I was told if the codine works then use that....great stuck on codine for the rest of my natural!!! only thing I haven't had
is a CT scan  - would you recommend this as perhaps the final test???
Well, if u can do a CT scan , do it.

My cough don't go away. For me I think the only choices are asthma or reflux. Not sure if a scan would reveal any new info for me. But ifI have the chance, I will do one.

Take Turmeric (Curcumin) supplement with honey. It worked for me on a year old dry cough.
Are you still taking the pill?

Did your coughing go away or you need to continuously take the pill to control the cough.

Chronic cough 2 years now. I'm a singer and it's all I'm passionate about, and I haven't been able to sing without a gagging cough. Everything you described in your original post sounds like me. I've had CT scan, Lyrnscopy, Bronchoscopy, x-ray, inhalers, asthma/breathing tests, reflux meds, etc. I've seen 8 doctors; no help. I was put on Claritin D and a nasal spray two weeks ago. Coughing is better but side effects for both medications includes cough, sore throat, dry mouth,etc. and it makes my lose my voice entirely. But I still can't sing without coughing. I don't really have "fits" just when I talk too long or sing at all. Quality of voice is gone. Codeine seemed to help a little, but don't want to be dependent.  
I cough up white foam sometimes almost like a small vomit because my throat opens up. I cough so hard it causes me to vomit sometimes. If I wasn't passionate about singing, I wouldn't care about my cough, but I NEED to find a treatment/cure!!! Thanks
Also, an ENT told me I probably have sleep apnea, but tests said negative.
Sleep apnea can cause a chronic cough as well if you have that... your snoring may be more. I don't, but might help someone else.
Do Ujjayi pranayam 3 to 21 times daily. This will stimulate the thyroid and throat area. Initially you will cough , when you try to do ujjayi, but keep trying.
Search for 'Ujjayi hava'  on this site, to learn how to do it. Your feedback will help others.
I'm having the same issue to I had had a very bad chronic cough for over 3 years now and its driving me crazy iv even had moments were I could not stop coughing and went blind for 10 to 15 sec iv also get to the point that I can hardly breath I'm like a fish out of water a lot and no one know what's wrong with me and I don't smoke or drink or anything.
I have Cronic (chronic) throat cough for 2 years which won't go away from my throat with any medicine. My Chest Xray,Blood test,and urine test are Normal.I feel shortness of breah when my stomach is empty.
How can i get rid of it?
It doesn't seem there is a cure unless it goes away by itself but a cough buddy with the same cough as me is taking Tylenol cold Multi - Symptom for adults caplets.  It's red at top and purple in middle and a little yellow in left hand corner.  She says it helps about 75% in the control of the cough.  It's all I can recommend unless someone contacts me regarding a cure but it helps.
see my comment to Ashisdey.  Try it for possibly temporary relief.
My email id is ***@****
Could you please help me. I am having same probelm from past 1.5 years :(
Hello there - what I'm about to tell you literally transformed our family's life.  My wife has had a chronic cough for 10 years now.  It started once she got pregnant with our first child.  At first the Doctors thought she was sick and they gave her the normal treatments.  What transpired over the course of a decade was nothing short of hellacious.  

Her cough was so bad - and it was constant - that it affected every part of her life.  From social, to business, to family life.  It was a cough that was there morning, all day, and night.  When she would get on an airplane (which is frequent in her line of work) people would look at her as if she had a deadly illness.  When she would go to school to pick up the kids the other parents would notice that she was always "sick".  

Over the course of 10 years we saw every type of specialist.  First we started with our general practitioner, then we moved on to a pulmonologist.  After that we saw ENTs (ear nose and throat), followed by allergists.  Then we'd get so frustrated when nothing would work that we'd quit awhile and start all over again.  Wherever we went the answer was always the same.  They diagnosed her with asthma or even "cough variant asthma" and would give her all different type of meds to treat it.  We went to a "cough specialist" in a far away city and he diagnosed her with post nasal drip.  

Meds typically included a bronchodilator, inhaled steroids, steroid nasal spray, prednisone (systemic steroids), nebulizers, etc.  None of the medicine helped.  None.  We had mold tests done in the home and everything came back normal.  

An important note, which I didn't realize was important over the years is that she had the cough all year round.  And it was there wherever our travels took us.  It didn't matter if she was in the northeast, southeast (where we live), Canada, Europe, Mexico, etc.  

Fast forward - recently our 9 year old daughter came down with pneumonia twice within 7 weeks.  This really got the attention of our daughter's pediatrician.  She sat down with us and my wife's chronic cough came up (obviously).  When she heard about that she instantly knew and it all made sense.  The pediatrician has 2 kids that had chronic asthma which really upset the doctor since it was her own kids which she cured.  

Here's the solution - she told us that we needed to completely cut out ALL dairy and wheat from our diet and go 100% "paleo".  Listen - if you are as desperate as we were please listen.  Paleo basically means only meats, fruits, and veggies.  No dairy and no wheat.  What we learned from her was that dairy and wheat are the two main food allergens and often simply present as a cough or asthma.  When our doctor cut out dairy from her kids lives their asthma was cured.  

We were reluctant but decided it couldn't hurt to give it a try.  That night I got my wife a chicken salad - no dressing.  The next morning she was slightly better.  I decided I'd keep giving it a chance.  We went all in on the paleo plan religiously with absolutely no dairy and wheat.  Within about a week her cough was about 70% better.  Now we are a few weeks in and it's about 95% gone.  Gone meaning on Thanksgiving day she didn't cough a single time whereas before it'd be every 5 minutes and violent loud coughing.  

Ironically, my brother had been diagnosed with "asthma" 3 years ago.  He got all of the inhalers, steroids, etc.  When I called him to tell him about what the pediatrician told us he was skeptical but he tried it.  He used to use his inhaler for his chronic cough many, many times each day.  Since going off of dairy he hasn't used the medicine a single time.   To test the dairy theory after being clear for a couple of weeks he decided to have as much dairy as he wanted for one day (milk, cheese, pies, etc).  His cough got so bad after that and for the next two days.  After another week of being clear my brother then decided to try just a tablespoon of sour cream with a meal.  Same thing - coughing fits.  Obviously now he won't touch dairy.  

I hope you take this note seriously as I see in the previous thread that a few people mentioned dairy but I thought that this full perspective might help.  And as for my daughter that had pneumonia - she's fine now and dairy free.  Since eliminating dairy she's been allergy and congestion free as well.  

Remember the two main culprits are dairy and wheat in that order.  Others have egg allergies that can cause the same problems.  

Please try this as it broke my heart to read that you were having the same struggle that our family has had.  What you have to remember is that doctors treat the symptoms and most often don't try to find out why you cough.  Sure - you might have post nasal drip or asthma that causes you to cough.  But both of those conditions are simply an inflammation caused by an irritant.  Most likely something that you are eating.  

Best of luck and let me know how you do.  
I too have had a chronic cough for several years and laryngitus for two years now that started after a cold but never went away. The Dr's don't seem to care enough to do anything about it. I am only 38. I was put on allergy meds but thats wasn't it. I was put on heartburn medicine and that wasn't it. I went to 3 different Dr's. They never sent me to a specialist or ordered any tests. I gave up even asking about it anymore. I just go around sounding like a frog and no body can understand me.And my coughing can be so bad I throw up. Oh well. Maybe some day I will find a decent Dr. Right now I am dealing with other health problems that are more of a concern for me. I am worried but what do you do. It sounds like you have at least had some tests done and thats good. One thing I found out that helped my coughing for a little while was the high blood pressure medicine I was on. It gives you a bad dry cough and feels like something is in your throat. They took me off and it was better until they put me on another one. Then I started coughing bad again. So, I will have to bring this up again to him. Do you take any other meds? Other meds can do it too. I hope you find some help.