Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic Cough for 5 weeks

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic Cough for 5 weeks

I have been coughing for 5 weeks.  It started with a sore throat and general feeling of run down.  I was coughing a lot and hacking up a lot of phlegm.  I took some days off of work and returned as I was feeling up to it again.  The cough did not go away, although it changed from a wet cough to a dry cough back to a wet cough.  I was diagnosed with asthma as a child, I am now 24, and have had various breathing problems over the last few years (especially as I have moved into a colder climate).  I visited the doctor around week 2 and he seemed unconcerned and gave me a antibiotic inc ase it was bacterial, Singulair, Promethazine Codeine and a Ventolin inhaler.  I took all of these medications, however the cough did not seem to improve.  i returned to the doctor, he refilled my prescriptions and also gave me Advair discus.  The cough has not improved, although some days are better than others.  I continually cough and occasionally am coughing up phlegmmy type spit (although it is not of any color).  I am an athlete and have been unable to excercise for the past 5 weeks and it is driving me insane.  I am a triathlete.  I tried to get some swimming in, which went ok, but I was coughing a lot and then some time in the weight room really made it hard to breathe.  iw ent out for a run yesterday despite the cough but had to turn back rather soon because the cough made it too difficult to continue.  I have also taken Mucinex DM and Claritin intermittently the last few weeks trying to clear this thing up with no noticeable results.  The cough right now seems to be coming from my chest, but it could be coming from the back of my throat, it is hard to tell.  When I cough I end up with gunk in my mouth, but it is colorless and looks just like regular spit.  I need to get better soon and return to my excercise routine!