Chronic Cough worsening over time
2 years ago, my family was sick. I came down with whatever they had and it turned into a horrible cough. I was up one night until 5am coughing...it wouldn't stop. I ended up going to the emergency room, thinking I was developing pneumonia. They x-rayed me and said no. The physician enraged me, saying I was "forcing the cough" (i.e, faking it) and he sent me home with sleeping pills. I slept for 2 days and the cough went away. Well, a year later, that same, mysterious cough returned. It surprised me when it returned, exactly like before. I feel I need to cough but it feels as though nothing ever comes out. I cough for hours sometimes. At the end of it, I feel mucous built up and I will cough so hard, it dislodges the mucous or sometimes I puke it up. I take a natural herb called Respiractin which helps some. I thought maybe this was developing into asthma, as I am around my  mom who smokes a lot. Not sure what triggers it...but it usually would only happen at night. Infrequent at first, now it's almost every single night and often during the day too. I take Antihistamine which helps sometimes...and lots of cough drops, which don't really do anything but soothe my throat. I don't have ins. so I haven't gone back to the hospital, because my emergency room visit took us 2 years to pay off. I can always feel it coming on, this desperate urge to cough...I also have drainage down my throat, tight chest and pain in my back (lung region) when I cough, I can feel the fluid in my chest which sometimes loosens when I cough hard enough. I am so tired of this every night...HELP!

It sounds like you are having an allergic response to an allergen or pollutant. It could be a combination of things... perhaps cigarette smoke and/or dust? I know someone who has the same problems every year when the heat is turned on in her home.

Since it sounds like you don't have health insurance, I would experiment with over the counter medicines. One that comes to my mind right away is Mucinex DM. There is also Mucinex that doesn't have a decongestant added and is just the expectorant/cough suppressant along. Walgreens just started selling their own generic version that is much cheaper and contains the same ingredient(s). Also, something that helps me that I learned from a Naturopath physician is liquid cayenne pepper. It sounds nasty and it does take a couple of days to get used to the taste, but you can buy liquid cayenne in a health food store and add a couple of drops to your water. It is a natural dilator and on me, it worked just as well as my asthma inhaler ! It opens the airways in your lungs so you can breathe better and along with taking the Mucinex, hopefully that combination will do the trick.

Good luck !