Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic Cough worsening over time
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chronic Cough worsening over time

2 years ago, my family was sick. I came down with whatever they had and it turned into a horrible cough. I was up one night until 5am coughing...it wouldn't stop. I ended up going to the emergency room, thinking I was developing pneumonia. They x-rayed me and said no. The physician enraged me, saying I was "forcing the cough" (i.e, faking it) and he sent me home with sleeping pills. I slept for 2 days and the cough went away. Well, a year later, that same, mysterious cough returned. It surprised me when it returned, exactly like before. I feel I need to cough but it feels as though nothing ever comes out. I cough for hours sometimes. At the end of it, I feel mucous built up and I will cough so hard, it dislodges the mucous or sometimes I puke it up. I take a natural herb called Respiractin which helps some. I thought maybe this was developing into asthma, as I am around my  mom who smokes a lot. Not sure what triggers it...but it usually would only happen at night. Infrequent at first, now it's almost every single night and often during the day too. I take Antihistamine which helps sometimes...and lots of cough drops, which don't really do anything but soothe my throat. I don't have ins. so I haven't gone back to the hospital, because my emergency room visit took us 2 years to pay off. I can always feel it coming on, this desperate urge to cough...I also have drainage down my throat, tight chest and pain in my back (lung region) when I cough, I can feel the fluid in my chest which sometimes loosens when I cough hard enough. I am so tired of this every night...HELP!