Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic Cough

I am 40yo non-smoker male. I have had a chronic cough going on 3 months. Three weeks ago I finally went to see my doctor and he gave me Advar(Steriod Inhaler); in which, it didn't help me much so I went on Albuterol (Arbuterol helped me in the past). My cough occurs when it is stuffy warm in the room; when I come from cold to a warm room; after waking up in the morning; and or several minutes after eating. My nasels run slightly , I have a normal temp during the past three months or for that matter the whole year, I have my annual flu shots, and I can still go to the gym and work out. When I do aerobic exercises I cough a little but nothing to really complain about. My cough persist and it has made me lose my voice. My overall feeling is fine but I cough throughout the whole day, sometimes to much. Please give any advise on my chronic cough.
Chronic cough is a common and frustrating problem.  It can come from the upper or lower airways, may be related to an allergy, an infection, an irritation or all of these.  The best approach to a chronic cough is to find out if the cause is from the upper or lower airways.  Next define the specific problem.  Finally deal with the cause.  Using these inhalers without having any idea that the cough is from the lower airways is "shooting in the dark" and hoping you hit something.  If your lower airways are not the primary problem, these inhalers are not going to be very effective.  If this cough is a problem for you, I would highly recommend seeing someone who will address the cause of the problem and then attempt to deal with it.
I came back from the doctor and had my chest x-ray. The doctor stated that there are some things going on in my lower air lobes and diagnosed as walking pneumonia. Also, I am to have my lung meeasured for asthma. Concerning walking pneumonia > I had none of these symptoms besides a cough. Antibiotics are prescribed and I am to return to the doctor next week for follow up.
A related discussion, Persistent Cough was started.