Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic Morning Cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic Morning Cough

I began having a cough each morning about 2 1/2 years ago.  A few months after the coughing started I developed post nasal drip that about drove me crazy until I went to the ENT 8 months later.  I mentioned my cough and the constant drainage. He did a respiratory test and said I had reactive airway disease.  A few weeks later they did an allergy test and started me on shots. I have been on Nasonex, Astelin, allergy shots and Singulair for about a year and half now. The cough has yet to go away. I have bought protective allergy covers for my mattress, box springs, and pillows. I have purchased an air purifier.  My bed has been elevated in the event that GERD is causing the problem and so far nothing has stopped the morning only cough/mucus. I felt a few months ago that my breathing was clearer and that it was better that it had been in a year or more but slowly my breathing seems different at times again like it did before I went to the ENT.  It's nothing major but on occasion I just can tell taking a deep breathe isn't the same as it use to be and laughing at times makes me aware that the air may not be going out like it should. I know it sounds crazy. My ENT doesn't seem concerned but I'm wondering if I need to be concerned and go see a pumonary specialist or if I should just wait for the shots to work.