Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic Pneumonia

My grandson is 7 years old and has been dealing with chronic pneumonia for a few years now. Last year was the worst he had it approx 8 times and was hospitalized 6 times. Since around Nov2012 he has had it 2 times was at Childrens( DC) double pneumonia for 5 days got out Christmas Eve. He also seems to have it in the same spot every time. They have him on a new medication regimine but he is now showing signs again. He was tested for CF about a year ago. They have and do treat him for asthma and did treat him for GERD. The next test is a bronchoscopy. Just curious if you have any other suggestions??? It is so heartbreaking to watch him try to breathe. He is very active and will not stop even when he struggles to breathe.
Tags: chronic pneumonia
I am so sorry to hear of the serious infections your grandson has had.  Reminiscent of my childhood experience when I was his age.  I understand the concern about CF but I would want to be sure that the latest, most comprehensive testing was used to rule out the diagnosis of CF.

I was struck by this statement: “He also seems to have it in the same spot every time.”

If that is truly case, I would be strongly suspicious that he a localized, most likely congenital abnormality of that part of his lung.  One such is a condition called lung sequestration.  
Two noninvasive tests are used to confirm the diagnosis.  These are, 1)CT with contrast can demonstrate both the extent of the lesion and its vascular supply and 2) Magnetic resonance angiography (MRA) is also useful.  These tests could be seen as an alternative to bronchoscopy or as complementary to it.  In the latter instance, bronchoscopy could allow for detection of narrowing or obstruction or increased collapsibility of that part of the lung. Your seeking the opinion of a pediatric pulmonology specialist would also be advisable

Were the pneumonia not always localized to the same spot consideration of some type of immune system deficiency disorder.

Finally, I am optimistic that your grandson has a treatable, probably curable condition and will be a fine, healthy boy after this problem is resolved.

Good luck