Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Pneumonia

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic Pneumonia
I am an 36 year old female.In the last year I have had pneumonia approximately 5 times. I am concerned that the pneumonia keeps reoccuring. My last episode was Aug. 2002 in which I spent 5 days hospitalized. Yesterday I was back in the ER and was told after having yet another chest xray that I have an early pneumonia in the left lobe. I get very very ill with the pneumonia. Fever, chills, vomiting, etc. I have not seen a pulmonologist but I intend to do so. Is there a reason for a reoccurence of pneumonia in a person who has been so healthy? The common cold with me turns into pneumonia. Will I have to live on antibiotics?  Thanks so much, Linda
A lung specialist should be helpful in finding the reason that you are having pneumonia so often.  Once the cause of the pneumonia is treated, you should not have to
A visit to a pulmonologist sounds like a great idea.  You might also ask him (or her) whether you should get a flu shot and a pneumonia shot.  If the pulmonologist can't help you, perhaps you should be evaluated by an immunologist to help determine why you get such frequent bouts of pneumonia.  Best of luck--I'm sure the LungLine nurse will have additional insight and suggestions.
Please post what you learn.
Starion
I did have the pneumonia shot in August before I left the hospital. I have not had a flu-shot. Thanks for your comments and advice. I will post what I find out from the Doc. Thanks Again
A related discussion, why do I get pneumonia so often? was started.
A related discussion, Frequency of Pneumonia was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker