Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic Respiratory Problem on Inspiration
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chronic Respiratory Problem on Inspiration

I am a 24 year old male in good physical condition with mild allergy induced asthma.

About 2 yrs ago I started having non-asthmatic problems with inspiratory breathing after an episode with a viral infection and possible bronchitis.  I was put on steroids, but they did not help the non-asthmatic problem.  Later I was diagnosed with pertussis, which lasted six months, and giardia, which took 8 courses of antibiotics to remove.  While I was taking the antibiotics for the giardia my breathing inexplicably improved, esp. with quinacrine. However, I still have the same inspiratory problem, of which there is no diagnosis.  I have negative x-rays, CT, and good blood work.  I have good spirometry and breathing tests.  My IGE is 600.   I can take deep breaths and I feel better when walking.  However, I have persistent pain when breathing at a normal rate and some mild interruption during sleep.  I feel like my shallow breathing is being obstructed by something.  I do not experience pain on breathing out.

Could there be any connection between giardia and respiratory improvement? Or, could the antibiotics possibly have improved some other conditions I was experiencing?
What could be causing inspiratory pain/compression in light of negative tests?
What about a fungal infection or autoimmune disease?
Could frequent exercise have exacerbated the problem?
I've seen an infectious disease, allergist, pulmonary, GI, and ENT doctor.  Anything else that could be beneficial?