Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic/Violent cough in morning only...going on for 3-4 months.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

22 year old Male smoker (1 pack a day)

Ever since late January/early February I have been waking up to a very violent cough.  Sometimes it wakes me up in the middle of the night, but not often.  Basically, a couple of minutes after I wake up, I start to cough very violently...it is very harsh and I feel very short of breath.  Anyway, the after a couple of minutes, the non-stop violent coughing stops.  For the next 30 - 45 I cough sporadically, but it is not uncontrollable like when I wake up nor do I feel shortness of breath.  I go most of the day and feel just fine.  However, sometimes at night before I go to sleep (it does not matter if I am laying down or up and about) I do cough but it is more spaced out/reserved/"normal" than when I first wake up.

Went to the doctor about a month ago...was given all sorts of lung endurance tests to check for asthma and was that was not it...was put on a round of antibiotics but the cough persists.  Anyway, just starting to get concerned because this has been going on for 3 1/2 - 4 months...any help is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you are having gastroesophageal reflux with aspiration.  That is, with stomach content coming up the esophagus and then dropping into your airway.  Usually, but not always, there is heartburn along with this.  If not reflux, you could be aspirating mucus from post-nasal drip.  Check with your doctor about both of these.
i'd get checked for reflux that you may have
MY 10 YEAR OLD HAD A CHRONIC COUGH FOR 5-6 MONTHS,BEEN THROUGH THE RINGER,BUT HAD ACID REFLUX,INFECTED ESOPHAGUS ,SINUS DISEASE,HAVE TO HAVE SINUS SURGERY IN A WEEK,BUT PLEASE CHECK FOR REFLUXES,YOU WOULDNT THINK THAT WOULD CAUSE A COUGH BUT IT WILL-GOOD LUCK
A related discussion, Violent Coughing was started.