Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic clearing of throut and cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic clearing of throut and cough

I had a viral infection in early Novemeber and the cough has lingered. With the cough which is mostly unproductive in producing in phlem, I am constantly clearing my throat. I have been to Dr., and she decided to put me on acid reflux med for two weeks to see if that cures cough. If not, she suspects that Asthma has been re-acted after I have had no symptms for 5+ years. I am so sick of the clearing of throut and coughing. I have researched trying to include or exclude certain food from my diet to see if that makes a differnet as well. It also seems to be worse after I eat carbs. This is my third time to a Dr. to get an opionin, any thoughts?
Persistent cough, productive of mucous or not, following an upper respiratory viral infection is not uncommon.  This would also be consistent with the diagnosis of whooping cough (pertussis) following which cough often persists for 3-6 months.  Your doctor’s suspicion of activation of asthma is also a reasonable possibility.

The odds are high that foods have nothing to do with your illness.  Should these symptoms persist, especially if associated with wheezing on physical exam, a trial of asthma meds would not be unreasonable if your doctor continues to believe that asthma is the likely culprit.

Good luck.
hi i had a virus in october.with a really bad cough,it as settled down but i am sneezing and coughing all day every day on and off.should i go back to the doctors.i have trouble with my ears someone told me it could be to do with that,as they always feel blocked .