Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic cough, blood, and now sore/swollen throat

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I've had a dry, deep, hacking, chronic cough for as long as I can remember.  It's usually triggered by allergies, second-hand smoke (my mom smoked inside the house), dryness, etc.  Also, if I get sick (which is once every two years, if that), the cough always gets 10 times worse, and doesn't heal.  

Now it's getting more and more frequent, even in the absence of apparent triggers.  I almost drink Robotussin like it's water.

Last time I got sick, my throat hurt terribly, and there was a large amount of blood in my sputum (some of it was entirely blood).  There was even some clotted stuff.  This was about a month ago -- I got better in 2 days, but my throat still bleeds every morning, though not as severely, and I still cough just as much.

A couple of days ago, I really felt my throat start to swell up, and there is blood in my sputum again.  There is lots of heavy sputum, but only in my throat.  It's getting really hard to breathe.  My cough doesn't get the mucus up very well, though it tries, so I have to kind of suck it up myself, which hurts my throat more (as does the cough).  I don't feel sick otherwise and don't feel feverish.  

Here's the thing:  I don't want to go to the doctor.  I already see a neurologist for migraines/narcolepsy and am on Topamax (100mg), Nuvigil, Midrin (as needed), and Relpax (as needed).  If I was given another script, I wouldn't be able to afford it -- though, actually, some people think my cough is being caused by my meds (though the cough itself started YEARS before I started any of these).

So I guess my question would be, what could I do here at home to remedy these problems?  I'm thinking about buying a humidifier for my bedroom because it's SO dry in there, and all of this is far worse in the morning.  I also might take some ibuprofen for the throat swelling so that I can breathe for now.  Would these be good ideas, or are there other, better ones?