Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic cough phlem

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic cough phlem

Hi, i have had a chronic cough for about 10 months now (cough is initiated by myself, i make myself cough, it is not frequent either, and when i am sleeping i do not cough), i also started to cough up yellow and brown phlem, wierd thing is that i think that my chest feels better after coughing this up, and hopefully maybe this is the end stages, i am 27, i am an ex smoker, quite about 4 years ago, i also had an atypical pneumonia/bronchotis last month, and was taking antibiotics, could you just tell me if i should go back to the doctor, or just wait this out, thanks so much for your time.
It is not uncommon for atypical pneumonia to produce coughing and/or wheezing for several weeks after an infection.  However, if the cough is not improving over time, I would recommend going back to your doctor to make sure the infection is gone.
I'd err on the side of caution and go see the Doc again. It could simply resolve itself, but without a  medico looking at it and ascertaining your medical history, eg., bronchial infections as a kid, and tests like the spirometer, you can't really say. I am no doc, but acute bronchitis from what I understand should resolve itself in a few days.  So 10 months is a  fairly long time and there may be something you could take to get it under better control.  Quiting smoking is the most important thing you've done, but you may have to go further and stay out of smokey bars etc.  Your doc can lay all this out for you. In any event your concerned enough to write in about it so I'd see my Doc if I were you if for nothing  else than peace of mind.

Good luck and good going on putting the coffin nails aside,

cooperins