Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic cough that won't go away!

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Chronic cough that won't go away!

Around early to mid February, I got sick - either a really bad case of the cold or it was the flu. I had chills, malaise, body aches, and after a few days, a sore throat and productive cough. I had a 10-day course of antibiotics for my severe sore throat, which helped. The productive cough turned to a dry cough, and the other symptoms disappeared.

We're now entering late March. Almost 2 weeks ago, I went to a walk-in clinic because I still had a dry cough. I've tried over-the-counter cough syrups, cough drops/lozenges, anti-histamines (I have a family history of allergies and sometimes have sinus issues myself, although I've never seen a doctor for it as it's never very problematic), and home remedies. I've had lingering dry coughs after upper respiratory infections before and a couple of weeks of inhaled corticosteroids helped. The doctor prescribed me one, but after 10 days of taking it, the dry cough was unchanged. In fact, I have been coughing so often and, sometimes, harshly that I've strained a muscle on my left side, near my lower ribs. The pain has gotten so severe that it's difficult to lie down comfortably and, sometimes, difficult to move certain ways. Except for the dry cough and pain, I feel well.

I went back to the walk-in clinic. I think the doctor I saw then was a little stumped and theorized atypical pneumonia and so ordered more antibiotics for me, as well as a chest X-ray (results pending). He also suggested taking a combination of antihistamines and a decongestant, which I've also started. I've noticed that the cough is now sometimes (not always) producing a slight amount of phlegm, although it's clear. However, I do believe my cough is getting worse.

I am in my 20's and am otherwise pretty healthy. So far, I haven't noticed a pattern to the cough - it happens during all hours of the day, no matter what I'm doing. I'd appreciate any suggestions or direction!