Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic coughing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic coughing

I am 44 years old, and have no history of Asthma, or any related respiratory disease.

Recently I have been doing some renovations to the floor in my old home. Three weeks ago I developed an irritating cough. After one week this cough progressed into a paralyzing cough.
When I go into my coughing fits, It makes me very dizzy, and feels like I am going to pass out. In fact, I have to support myself. Immediately after my coughing fit, I can't get my breath, it is like my airway is shut off. Kinda scary! If I remain calm, I can regain myself. This happens more in the morning, and evening, averaging about 15 fits a day over the last three weeks.
I have seen my doctor twice, he has checked my breathing, and says that my lungs seem clear, he sent me for an x-ray, two days ago and I haven't heard anything back. He put me on a Turbuhaler (Symbicort), a week ago, and it hasn't seemed to make a difference.
There is a real possibility of asbestos in the floor I have been working on, and yes there was lots of dust, as I was using power tools to extract it. (It didn't even cross my mind at the time). Once I developed my symptoms, I stopped working on my project, and haven't been in the house for a week now. There is also a possibility of black mold in the home. I mentioned this to my doctor, and he didn't seem too concerned.
I have a nazal cogestion as well, so assumed that it must be a cold, but it has been three weeks now. I am unable to even drive, as when I get into a fit, the onset is rapid, and unpredictable. This makes it very unsafe, as I mentioned earlier, I am almost passing out. In fact, at times, it becomes neurological. I have had my leg and arm muscles go into spazzums during my coughing fits.

I am just looking for some advice here. If it was asbestos or mold, would the symptoms come on so quickly?

What should I do?
Very dissapointed, lousy forum. waste of time.
I think only a pulmonolgist that put you through breathing tests would be able to better answer your question about your sudden symptoms. Asbestos if inhaled over a long period of time can cause "pulmonary fibrosis" a restrictive lung disease but generally the scarring from asbestos  takes 10-40 years to start showing symptoms.  You may have inhaled dust and asbestos fibers which caused acute inflammation of your bronchial tubes or lungs. You may also have another underlying lung condition that became aggravated by the exposure you had while working on your older home. If I were you and the symptoms didn't go away would see a pulmonologist so you can get a diagnosis and what ever treatment is available but it sounds like you have allergies or a underlying condition of your lungs, bronchial tubes that became aggravated and caused inflammation. I know a little about asbestos scarring and symptoms but your condition sounds a little different. oh I also see this post is older and by now I'm sure you have been diagnosed.