Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic dry cough for 3 months - no diagnosis!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Please help! I have been having a chronic dry cough for the last 3 months - rapidly going on 4. It all started with a minor cough every now and then and a little bit of a sore throat. I thought I was coming down with a cold, but nothing more serious developed. Since then the cough has gotten worse, it developed into a mucousy sounding cough in the mornings and evenings and I was diagnosed with post-nasal drip around the 1 month mark. I was given Nasonex spray which I used religiously until the bottle was empty. Whilst it helped a little (I felt good for a week or so) the cough returned (now dry) and has persisted for 2 more months.

It's now an all day dry cough, I sleep fine, no coughing at all but as soon as I get out of bed the need to cough starts. It feels like two distinct symptoms: the need to clear my throat from gunk and a pressure, almost acidy feeling in my chest. I went to another doctor who tested me for bronchitis, viruses and whooping cough. All were negative. He put me on antibiotics which again helped for 3 days but the cough returned afterwards and two bouts of antibiotics did not help.  I was tested for allergies via skin ***** test which came back negative. I went back to the doctor who tested me for asthma and my levels came back with a low level of asthma., which did not surprise me as I am a bit asthmatic when exercising and around smokers. But otherwise, I never have asthma attacks and was doubtful with this diagnosis. Sure enough, two different types of preventers later and constant use of the Ventolin treatment, I have felt no relief from my cough or the feeling in my chest. After 3 weeks, I gave up on the asthma treatment.

Next was the chest X-ray, which came back all clear. I am back on a nasal spray (Rhinocort) and allergy medication (Clarytine) as a last ditch attempt to rid me of the cough. Nothing seems to set it off, it just starts when I get out of bed. I am completely fed up, everyone around me is sick of my constant coughing and people look at me like I have the plague. I am otherwise healthy, although getting quite depressed and exhausted from the coughing. I am only 25 and have never smoked. I did live in a damp, moldy house in New Zealand for 6 months and wonder if this could be a cause? I've never had any allergies and am not usually that susceptible to colds and flu.

I feel I have exhausted all options and am wondering how soon I should be feeling better from all these treatments? Perhaps I should have persisted longer with the asthma treatment? Or should I look into something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is affecting my every day life and I feel completely hopeless! If anything, I feel like it has gotten worse since seeing the doctor and sleep continues to be my only relief.

Thank you!!