Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Chronic sinus pain, postnasal drip, upper palate pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Ever since I had the flu Nov 03 I have had daily throat pain.  Sometimes it's the same throbbing pain at the back of my throat.  Daily it's steady pain in my upper palate.  My uvula has had a red streak since sometime last yr.  I have daily sinus pain esp through my nose.  My right eye throbs when I'm tired.  I have daily headaches in ctr of forehead.  Sensitive to sunlight, on cloudy days "brightness" hurts.  Nose often stuffy, makes clicking noise when I go to bed.  Always feels like stuff is sitting above back of throat.  Daily postnasal drip. Several times last yr it was so thick I couldn't breathe.  Have had small lumps on rt side of neck since sometime last yr, ENT confirmed swollen glands last wk.  Always tired, weak-feeling, often lightheaded. Occasional bouts of overwhelming nausea - "whole head feels sick". Occas. high fevers.
Biaxin for a wk Oct 04 - no help.  CT scan showed all sinuses filled, not infected.  Rcvd Amoxicillin 2 wk Rx.  Day 6 had hives - have had them every day since then.  A few days ea wk  rt side chest pain which sometimes radiates up my throat & through my ears, sometimes stomach.  Switched to Levaquin for remainder of Rx.  EKG good.  Allergist thinks hives are from Amox. and it's now Dermatographia, says pains are Acid Reflux. ENT said CT not worrisome, worried about palate pain - ordered different CTs & head MRI to be rvwd next wk.  Blood tests good, negative for Mono, Chlamy, Gonor.  When I had the flu they gave me antibiotics - could that be the cause of all this?  I didn't take them all :c(  I also had the flu 2x and Strep in early 03.
This is a very complex history and certainly warrants a thorough evaluation of the sinuses, airways etc.  It is impossible to tell you what is the problem.  If someone has a CT scan that shows the sinuses to be "filled" as you have described, it is hard to state that they are not infected without a culture for bacteria and fungal infections.  The most common cause of "filled sinuses" is a chronic inflammatory process caused by a chronic infection.  Such an infection could cause any and all of what you have described, including the hives.  I would try to get to the bottom of the "filled sinuses" as the first step to this very difficult and prolonged problem.
I'm thinking everything could be Acid Reflux as the Allergist suggests - probably GERD - what do you think?  I read that this can lead to sinus problems, postnasal drip, and perhaps that's why the roof of my mouth always hurts and my glands are a bit swollen in my neck (from postnasal drip I guess)????
Hello Heather..read your symptoms with great interest..not that I can offer any help, just to say many of them are similar to mine. I have the same back and upper palate pains, a red patch that feels a times like it is burning, tingling..sometimes these small white blisters at the back of my throat, with me always on the right side. Sometimes this numbness radiates out/down my throat and down my right arm, sometimes into the top of my chest.It really scares me and I think of all kinds of heart problems..but I don`t really think its that. Deep inside my right ear throbs alot. When all this is worse I get anxiety feelings, a bit dizzy, shaky..its very difficult to describe..its a mental feeling..but goes away..like its not in my mind but being caused by physical reasons..All this stuff lasts for months, never really goes away, just gradually. Seem to get it once or twice a year. Never even got close to a diagnosis, how about you ?
best wishes
Alex (Notebook)
A related discussion, Pain was started.