Respiratory Disorders Community
Chronic sore throat & swollen glands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Chronic sore throat & swollen glands

I have a recurring sore throat that lasts a month or so each time it comes. The first time, I went to the doctor who didn't know what it could be. I tried using an antibacterial gargle but returned when that didn't work. I had a plethora of tests including a throat swab which didn't grow anything, blood tests and a urine test. The tests revealed an unrelated, symptomless UTI. I started antibiotics for this, and my sore throat cleared up around that time (which may or may not have been due to the antibiotics).

The second time my throat got sore, I was traveling overseas and tried to ignore it - It cleared after about 1.5 months.

I have it for a third time. It is very painful and I find it difficult to swallow. I have painful swollen glands around my face and neck. If last time is an indication, the doctor reported that my throat looks mildly inflamed. I also get ulcers in my throat when this happens.

My sinuses feel clear and I don't have any cough or irritation which would be associated with a postnasal drip. I have mild reflux but this is controlled using motilium and somac as needed, and I do not associate the sore throat periods with a noticeable flare up of my reflux.

This sore throat drives me mad, as mainly because of the swollen glands I feel very unwell all the time. What could it be?
Oh and I forgot to add, I was also put on some medication for a suspected fungal infection and that didn't help.