Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Clear Mucus /Asthma Attacks /Deviated Septum

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Male
age: 40
For about 2 years in the morning I noticed a drip down the back of my throat and I would almost have to gag to get it out, during the day I would have a small amount of clear mucus that I would spit up. every now and then i would have  dizzy spells with my eyes. Wheezing This first began when I was moving into my new house dec 2004, I had has some wheezing at times during the winter months since 2001. I caught a flu like cold and was just getting over it, I had to do some painting in the house to get it finished and went outside several times to clean tools it was cold and i started to wheez very bad this was something I have never experienced befor! This went on through Jan 2005.
I went to the doctor had chest xrays, pulmonary function test and blood test. Xrays good- PF test good -Blood test came back showing high colesterol and mild increase inplatelets 'Red blood cells' 4/11/05 he tested blood again a week later and the showed normal. That kinda scared me but he said it could be from the meds I had taken for the flu. My blood pressure had been tested several times during these months always normal but the last 2 times I went to the doctor it was 140/100 so he started me on 20 mg benicar that makes me feel crappy with very mild head aches but BP is low. I asked the doctor to do a sinus CT and he found the Deviated Septum with mild to moderate blockage right side.
Doctor says i have alergies (allergies) these attacks i have had in the last 2 weeks come on very sudden with a cough and then I cant breath i have to use abuteral to open airways what could this be
It seems like there are several problems going on that may or may not be related.  It is fairly clear you have asthma from your symptoms.  Coughing and wheezing are the most common symptoms for asthma.  Getting a lung function test before and after a bronchodilator will clarify this.  The Singulair is OK for this if it controls your symptoms.  That does not seem to be the case.  The next step is the use of an inhaled steroid.  This is safe and more likely to bring about control of the wheezing.

The nasal symptoms may be from an allergic reaction or a secondary inflammatory process following a sinus infection as seen on the sinus x-ray or from the painting you did.  This can be a chronic problem that makes the asthma worse.  This probably needs to be addressed soon.

The blood tests probably are unrelated and do not seem to be a major problem at this time.

It is not clear if any of these factors are related to the high blood pressure.

A good idea, which it appears you are already doing, is to work closely with your doctor to get to the bottom of the sinus problem and control the asthma with a different medication.
any suggestions?