Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cold to Lung Infection?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cold to Lung Infection?

I am 35 years old and until a year and a half ago never had any problems with my lungs. Currently my lungs ache and hurt worse when I breathe. There is little or no flem (phlegm), but a lot of coughing. I feel like I am not getting enough oxygen. I can breathe air in and out and take deep breaths(with pain), but it feels like the lungs are not absorbing anything. My chest hurts as if it is bruised and tend to breathe shallow in order to avoid the pain. I have had a viral lung infection a year and a half ago, but wonder why I keep getting these same problems over and over again?
Generally a cough caused by a viral lung infection lasts a couple of weeks.  Sometimes it may linger for a couple of months.  If it were simply a virus, you would not still be coughing after a year and a half.  There is probably something else that is causing your cough to continue.  Allergy is one possible cause.  Another possible cause is lingering irritation of the airways in your lungs from the viral lung infection.  Also an ongoing cough can be a side effect of a group of medicines used to treat high blood pressure called angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors.  In a person who has a normal chest x-ray and who doesn
If you have had this for a yr and a half, I would get to a pulmonologist.  There are many lung diseases characterized with shortness of breath, chest pain, and nonproductive cough.  Some are serious some not so serious.  Any problem lasting such a long time needs attention?  Have you seen any drs about this?  What did they say?  My guess is you need lung function tests, X-rays, and a chest CT.  I would insist on the CT, many lung diseases do not show up on X-ray alone.  My child had what was believed to be severe asthma that was difficult to treat,after years of steroids and contant problems a new dr finally ordered a CT and it showed a rare lung disease.  She had many x-ray's during this time that either just showed pneumonia or were normal.  So, I think a CT when you have ongoing problems is a must!