Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Confused about chest xray report

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Confused about chest xray report

I had a chest xray a month ago due to having back pain and then doc said all is clear. Since then I started feeling tired and sleepy and having low grade fever. I went to see another doctor yesterday. He said he sees some calcification in my lungs and ordered HRCT to rule out bronchoecstiasis. My question is why didn't the previud doctor mention about the calcium deposit in my lungs? ( I would post the image of my previous xray if I could).

Thanks ahead for help with this confusion!
Lung calcification(s) are quite common and, with rare exceptions, indicative of a previous, resolved lung infection.  They are considered to be a benign finding, and not a sign of currently active disease.  That might be why the first doctor described your chest X-ray as “all clear.”

Given that you continue to have “a low grade fever” with the non-specific symptom of fatigue, it would be appropriate at a minimum, for you to have a repeat chest X-ray and not unreasonable given your present doctor’s expressed concerns, to proceed with a CT Scan.

Good luck.
could be he was just focused on the skeletal system as that seemed to be your main complaint.

However, bronchiectasis is an uncommon disease, most often secondary to an infectious process, that results in the abnormal and permanent distortion of one or more of the conducting bronchi or airways. An infectious process in the lungs is not uncommonly missed during its earlier stages. It is most likely that it has now progressed to a point that a chest xray can now see it clearly. The fatigue and fever definately point to an infectious process that is progressing.