Respiratory Disorders Community
Consistent/Severe Upper Resp. Infections - What could be causing them?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Consistent/Severe Upper Resp. Infections - What could be causing them?

During the last year, I have had to be given injections twice to prevent the closing of my throat and hospitalized overnight once due to an upper respiratory infection. My symptoms include: painful sinus pressure, high fever (over 101 degrees F), body fatigue and severe aches, sinus headaches (light/movement sensitive), pain in right eye, nasal congestion, chest pain, difficulty breathing, severe sore throat, cough, watery eyes, nausea, and severe inflammation of upper respiratory passages that causes extreme discomfort. These symptoms have always lasted at least a week and do not go away on their own.

I have been treated by several physicians and have been prescribed Augmenten (Amoxicillin w/ Clavulanate) at 875 mg, Dexamethasone (.75 mg), Amoxicillin, and also I have been given injections (not sure of the names) of a powerful antibiotic and then a powerful, anti-inflammatory steroid to complement the prescriptions. I have had my throat swabbed each doctor visit and the culture came back negative each time for anything.

I have missed a considerable amount of work because of these infections each time I get them (at least 3 times with severe symptomsand and/or at least once every two months with moderate symptoms within the last year). My medical records will show I have never had these problems before so consistently and so severely. I have always eating healthily, I exercise regularly, and I do not have any major health complications. I am not taking any medications either. I have not moved to any new location, have not changed my diet, etc. I have had my home checked for allergens, mold, etc. and all results were negative.

I began working at a new office building one year ago. My symptoms began around a year ago. I do know that we have 'contained' asbestos and possible mold. I sit beneath an air duct at our office and notice a musty, 'earthy' smell often. Other coworkers have complained of the same smell and have similar symptoms.

What could be causing these symptoms so regularly and so severely? When I get these infections, I literally feel like I am going to die and can barely get out of bed just to get water or use the restroom. I sleep over 15 hours and I feel no better. I cannot eat, I have trouble breathing, I drink water as if I am dehydrated, and yet I am still always thirsty. I just had to go to the doctor again yesterday as I was having difficulty breathing once more and I had to get the steroid shot and am on three medications. I was sick for over one week and thought it might go away, as I cannot afford to go to the doctor every month and pay a copay and get prescriptions.

Please, any advice? My physician cannot make any connection, and when I have gone to ER/urgent care, they cannot conclude any cause tiehr. I have never been THIS sick in my life. Should I get a blood test? Should I see if I can get info. on my building? I told my supervisor (as I am getting warnings regarding my absences, even though they're medically excused) and my inquiries about known allergens/chemicals have been ignored.