Respiratory Disorders Community
Constant Urge to Take Deep Breaths

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Constant Urge to Take Deep Breaths

For the last week I've had a constant urge to take deep breaths, and fill my lungs so that they feel stretched. The breath gives minor satisfaction, but then the urge returns.
Sometimes, I feel like I need to yawn, but the yawns are not satisfying like they should be. I don't have any problems breathing, nor do I have any other symptoms, like coughing, raspiness or wheezing. Just this persistent urge to breathe deeply.

A lot of posts I've seen on related symptoms seem to think this is anxiety, but I really don't think that I have a lot of anxiety right now.

Any ideas?

This discussion is related to urgency to take deep breaths.
Hi Rick
Another area you might like to explore. I have done some research as i was also having similar problems. To my astonishment there are many scented Products that can contribute or let alone be the course of tighness around the throat and upper chest area.
Hence this making one feel as if they at times breath through a thin Straw.
do you use Perfiume or other scented Product?
Try not to use those and see if yuo are experiencing improvements.
I experienced improvevements since i stopped using an expensive Aftershave.
Chemicals Manufacturers don't want you to know about.
Do your own research and type something like>> Breathing difficulties coursed by scented products<< and i am sure you be surprised what you will find!!
The only thing that bothers me now is a possible  excercise induced asthma.
Otherwise i am fine now.
Cheers' Ray
Hey I have the same problem! I'm  34 years old and have been a very physically active person, up until about 5 years ago when I got a panick attack after smoking some pot. I think alot of this is anxiety, and our bodies getting into the rythm of going for that full breath of air. I dont consider myself and anxious person nor do I have anxiety attacks anymore but I just can't seem to shake this feeling of constantly needing to take a deap breath. I excrcise in moderation and try to control my breathing and relax, this seems to help alot.  I did notice that when I feel very cofident and fearless this symptom seems to vanish.... strange?? I hope that this may help someone who's going through this, how do we get ride of this permanantly is the question I have.
A google search landed me hear. It's nice to know that I am not the only one dealing with this. All of my issues are excatly the same that Rick described. The feeling of having to take a deep breath is so annoying. Then when I try to yawn and it's nothing. It's enough to make me crazy. I need to go to my doc and see what is going on. Thanks for giving me some peace of mind to know I am not alone dealing with this.
Yes, I'm glad I'm not the only one!  I have the constant urge for a deep breath, and when I do it now, I'm having back pain.  I saw my doc (before the back pain started) and Chest xray and CT scan was clear, blood O2 was very slightly below normal, and Pulmonary function test (spirometry) showed indications of mild small airway disease.  We have no idea of the cause.  Ventolin and other inhalers do nothing.  I tried home air quality tests which turned up nothing toxic.  I've tried anti-inflammatories and allergy meds to no effect.  The worst part is that it seems to go away completetly for days at a time, then suddenly comes back for days at a time.  I've always been a runner/weight lifter and never smoked.  No I find I'm low on energy and have a hard time to do any exercise at all.  My next step is going to be a Naturopathic Doctor.  I'll let you know what I find!
I'm having EXACTLY the same problems.  I've been experiencing this sudden urge to take a deep breath for about two weeks now.  I went to the dr yesterday, she listened to my lungs (no xray) and said my lungs were great.  She thinks it might be Acid Reflux, so she put me on Protonix.  But I've been taking Protonix for two days now, and I seem to have MORE difficulty breathing.

But like some of you, it comes and goes.  Sometimes I think it's completely gone, and then I can't breathe again.

It's scary....is there a doctor on here who might be able to help?  My HMO doesn't seem to care all that much.  At least, nothing's helping right now.  

AND I'm constantly, CONSTANTLY clearing my throat.  It's so annoying.  And on top of not being able to breathe, well..you get where I'm going.
I have the same thing.  I have asthma  and reflux and just had reflux (fundo) surgery 2 months ago, but still feel bad.  I've taken every test possible from pulmonary and gastro docs.  Im taking stress test next week and going to Cleveland Clinic on sept 8th.  I don't know what to do, I beg doctors for help but they just order a test and when it comes back normal, they think im crazy.  Ive found at least 30-40 people on med help from all the way back in 2004 who have this.  We need help.  Any results please send a message.  I'm 34 and basically my lifes over.  
I have the same issue with clearing my throat! It seems that if I don't do it I will choke or something. I have had that issue for years - I went to the doc once about it and I was told that it was post nasal drip. She prescribed RhinoCort?- I never took it. I read the side effect and there are worse than my issue to begin with
I'm a 31 yo female with the same issues. I've had the slew of tests that it sounds like others have had with normal results (inlcuding pulmonary function, methylcholine challenge, Chest CT, EKG, stress test, scoping of my vocal chords, and allergy testing). Still no resolution.

Question: does anyone else find that it worsens with heat/humidity or with exercise? Also, it is definitely aggravated by excess of alcohol, caffiene, and sugar.

I have had some success (about 80% improvement) with acupuncture and herbs (Shu Gan) to treat damp-heat and stagnant liver qi. That may be worth mentioning to your chinese medicine practitioner if you do see him.

Would love to hear more from people who have had some success in curing this.
some more thoughts as I looked through the old thread on the same issue....

anxiety of course has been a major focus of my acupunturist and my western medicine doctor. Xanax taken at the onset of attacks did help stave off full-fledged hyperventilating. Because of my hesitation to be on xanax long-term I haven't taken a regular course of it to see if it prevented the issue, but it did greatly improve my ability to exercise if taken before a workout. I previously had tried 2 months on Zoloft which did not eliminate the urge to take deep breaths.

I should add that I am not by nature an anxious person. Non of my friends or family would characterize me as such, but in talking with my acupuncturist, internalizing worry or stress can easily lead to these kinds of symptoms even though you may not think you're worried or stressed at all.

I'll post again as I know more!
I'm a 30 yr old male. History of ear and nose problems.

I've had the same problem for a month or more. I went on a week long vacation and it seemed to mostly go away for the week. Then back to work, and wham! Right back at it.

This makes me believe it has to be stress and anxiety related/mental. That doesn't mean it has gone away. Either that or my bed at home isn't right for me and I'm not getting the right kind of sleep.

Obviously I'm thinking about it a lot if I'm searching online for answers no one has. Possibly if I stopped focusing on it so much, relaxed and controlled my breathing it would go away. This site is called Med help, and I'm not seeing a lot of help.

Maybe I need to work out more. Can't say I'm all that active. I work a desk job, then get home, and sit to relax. That's a lot of sitting, whereas on vacation I was very active.
Agreed, there seem to be plenty of questions and not as much help.

I've found compelling evidence that this could be something mentioned in other areas, called chronic hyperventilation syndrome. I'm trying some breathing techniques and reading a great book called Free Your Breath, Free Your Life. Sounds cheesy, I know, but it makes a lot of sense. A combination of controlling stress/anxiety and breathing retraining may be the solution.

And, again, I highly recommend acupuncture.

Please, folks, continue posting if you find anything that works for this.

Here are some links on hyperventilation:
•         http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/TOPIC270.HTM
•         http://www.amazon.com/Free-Your-Breath-Life-Conscious/dp/1590301331 (the book I’m reading now)
•         http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1516-44462006005000048&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en
•     http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/120/4/855
Thanks for the response. I read your emedicine article, and they referred to something called Diaphragmatic breathing. I'll probably try that before acupuncture. It says people with anxiety tend to breathe through their as opposed to their diaphragm. I've noticed the feeling I'm trying to satisfy by breathing deep is in the center of my chest. So possibly my lungs have become hyper inflated or something, who knows. Anyway, if anyone else wants to try this, here's some techniques:

http://www.anxietypanic.com/breathing.html
By the way, I left a word out there CHEST. Anxious people tend to breathe more through their chest. Also women who are self conscious about their waist, or wear tight binding clothes around their waist.

Diaphragmatic breathing is working so far. Actually, it started working the second I tried it while at my desk at work. Soon, I think this breathing will feel natural.

My doctor took chest Xrays, and listened to me breathe when this first started, and never mentioned that I might be breathing WRONG.

I suggest everyone try this if you are experiencing these symptoms. I'm sleeping better, and the one thing I was anxious about (my constant deep breathing and yawning) is subsiding. I'm going to start a workout program soon, I'm hopeful that will help my breathing as well.

Good luck to anyone going through this, I know it *****. If you have exactly what I had, I think you can fix it naturally.
I'm a 28 year old smoker for about 15 years. About a week ago, I was cleaning around the house and noticed every couple of minutes I felt this sudden urge to yawn. Well, I figured I had over worked myself  cleaning and thought it would pass. Well, here I am a week since then still having the same problem. Every couple of minutes I get this unstoppable urge to inhale as deep as I can or to Yawn. Sometimes my yawns or deep breaths are successful and sometimes they are not. It's very exhausting! The cycle is neverending. I am not struggling to breath and can carry on a conversation fine. I am also not overweight. There is no wheezing. I don't have allergies. I am not coughing, no runny nose, and no sinus problems. But, it's still going on. I have tried over the counter inhalants which haven't helped. I even tried decongestants thinking maybe I had a bug and didn't realize it. This has scared me so bad that I quit smoking cold turkey. I had my oxygen level tested to see if I am getting enough oxygen and it's at 100%?! I am really scared! Every family member and friend thinks it's just an  anxiety attack but this is way to physical! I am not stressed either. In fact I have had my fair share of stress and never ever had anything like this happen. I don't know if it's paranoia but I am even noticing a little stiffness deep in my throat when I do yawn. I feel so stupid when I explain it outloud, but I really feel like there is something really wrong with me! Please help me! Anyone!
I personally think its just a form of anxiety. I suffered from what you describe in my 20s, i do suffer from anxiety so i know now that that's what it was.
You need to learn to breath so your stomach rises and not your chest exhaling all the air out of your lungs, make the exhale longer than the inhale. Its hard to do at first but over time you wont think about it. It still can happen to me now and then especially when i hear other people describe it as it brings back the old feelings but i can quite easily get rid of it now. Im a smoker too and it probably doesn't help. Try cutting right down rather than going cold turkey at first and see how you feel.
Alright this is going to sound like an echo of everyone else, but I've had the same problem! I've been wondering if it isn't from the fact that I tend to get anxious and stress a lot. I've thought about doing meditation and listening to a relaxation cd while I'm doing it. With how many people are afflicted with this I have no doubt any advice would be much appreciated.
I've had this problem my whole adult life -- I'm 51-yr-old woman.  I finally figured that for me, at least, it's worse when I ovulate (no help to men, I know).  When I was pregnant with my first child, problem pretty much went away; I had it somewhat with second pregnancy, but not bad.  Seems to be much worse as I approach menopause.  Mine is usually acccompanied by upper back pain, usually on the right side; that hasn't always been the case.
So it's been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to share my recent experience in trying to fix this. I TRULY believe the majority of us are experiencing the results of poor breathing technique. As beefgun mentioned, we are all likely not practicing true diaphragmatic breathing.

I have since had several eye-opening sessions at an integrative health center. I had two one-on-one yoga sessions and a meeting with a counselor. Both practitioners gave me very specific movements and a series of exercises to help re-learn how to breath and to become more aware of how I am breathing. It has HELPED TREMENDOUSLY! They have also prescribed regular movement classes, such as Tai Chi, which I haven't started yet, but hope to add to my arsenal of defenses against poor breathing.

The counselor impressed on me multiple times that MOST people do not breathe correctly.

I have had results. It has not been quick, but it has been dramatic. It does require a willingness to devote daily concentration on fixing it, but it is definitely life-changing, so I stringly recommend seeking the help of some experienced yoga or tai chi practitioners, or seeing out an integrative health clinic that can send you to the right people in your area.
Its anxiety. possibly brought on with something irretating the throat or lungs. i bet you only feel like this when ur not really doing anything, and never feel it when ur drunk or having a good time or really concentrating. dnt let ur minds run wild ur not going to stop breathing!. ur body will pass out first to take bk control of ur breathing caused by panic and anxiety. try and get some high dose antihistamines they should do the trick with any allergies and anxiety. failing that pregablin or any of the benzo's will do the job. i suffered with this for years. crazy wat the mind can do. obviously these are meds u should discuss with ur doc but i started wi the antihistamines then pregablin and hav been anxiety free for 12 months+. with no meds
Smoking and hangovers aggrevate anxiety. giv ur body and mind a rest from anxiety and for most people it will go away. exercise and plenty of fluids also help. Ino its hard especially without meds but try and relax and remember that any medication is for short term there is no magic pill that will make anxiety dissapear forever without other more complicated side effects. So some of the techniques above are definatly worth a try.
Hi i am also so glad to hear that i am not the only one with this symtom i have have xrays and all of the above for this issue. I strongly agree with the anxiety bieng the main issue .... i do smoke but the doctor says my lungs look fine so i am just going to relax and stop worrying about this issue and see what happens .. i would also like to add or better yet ask when i wake up i find i dont have the symptoms untill i think about it and then they start up for example i think about it well im having my shower and by the time i walk out the door its has started again .. i was curious if anyone here also had that. Ty everyone again
Hello!
I have been having this problem with wanting to frequently take a deep breath..it feels good somehow and I suspect it may be Anxiety..

But they say that deep breaths are good for your cells, brain, etc.  So, it may not be a bad thing ..
I have had the urge to yawn and not being satisfied. deep breaths nothing i feel so stupid at work or in public when I'm trying to get a deep breath and I'm so tired of people telling me go to bed at night because all i do is yawn or try to yawn all day just to feel like i'm getting oxygen. I'm a nurse and I'm constantly checking my o2 sats and they r always good. I too have been to the Dr. he says it's anxiety I really believe it is even if u dont feel anxious. I notice I will get releif when I dont pay attention to it (which is not very often) also I sleep good at night and wonder why is it when I'm sleeping my breathing is good but when i'm awake it feel like i'm smoothering! Because when I'm sleeping I'm not thinking about it. Yet I still feel like this EVERDAY!!! Sometimes I feel like I'm gonna lose it! Hope someone can figure all this out so we can all get relief!! It's such a horriable feeling!!
I think I have a solution!  I've had this only a couple times in my life, and just recently for the past five days. I've had the same feelings, not getting enough air or a satisfying breath, the need to keep yawning which only one out of many times gives that good satisfying breath. Yes it causes anxiety as it is a horrible feeling.  I believe the answer is not in doctors, scripts, and endless tests. I think everyone needs a chiropractic adjustment. I've read only one post on several sites that said they got relief from this. It worked for me. I think nerves get impinged on the spine. The spine regulates all body processes.  I've been to a chiropractor many times in my life (I'm 54 and overweight), but not for many years. My brother gave me an adjustment (right or wrong it gave me relief) as I can't afford the chiropractor as they must take x-rays first. If you can't afford one as many insurances don't cover these docs (which is a shame!), then have someone hold you from behind in a standing position like they are giving you a 'bear hug' from behind, cross your arms over your chest and have them bear hug you putting their arms under your crossed arms. The "bigger person' behind you lifts you off your feet while compressing you in a tight 'hug.' This generally produces a popping noise. That's sometimes all I need to get 'adjusted' and gradually I felt the inability to get a good breath drift away. The anxious feeling was gone as it improved.  I cried reading several sites with many so despondent.  It is a horrible feeling. I believe it is more than anxiety, anxiety is a natural symptom for this which is due to spine out of place. Hope and pray this helps many.
my story... i have the urge to get a satisfying breath every couple of minutes, but i have held the urge feeling for days on end which makes me think its more of a mental issue, and gets worse when im thinking about it, but unfortunately for me that is every waking moment, i run 10+ miles fine without having to stop and i can lie on my back without it getting worse, i sleep fine

seems to get better when i keep my mind busy, but i have had this since late summer 2011 and still going now, so it is hard to take my mind off it
Not to scare anyone, but I've had a constant urge to yawn and it's because blood is not carrying much oxygen, ask your doctor.
I would like to voice my OPINION that this problem – at least for me - is not caused (or cured) by breathing techniques and is not caused by anxiety problems.

I am a 53 year old male and had this same problem back in my late 20s-early 30s.  Then it went away for many years (20 years?) and I had completely forgotten about this ailment until I woke up about a week ago at 4am and once again felt the need to yawn but couldn’t.   Because I woke up from a deep sleep with this problem I do not think it was an anxiety attack.  Also, I doubt there were improper breathing techniques during my sleep.  The magnitude of the problem seems to vary from day-to-day; it was pretty bad the first day or two, then very mild for several days and now seems to be slightly worse tonight (keeping me awake and prompting me to write this response).

BREATHING TECHNIQUES: I stress again that I do not believe that breathing techniques are the CAUSE or the CURE for this problem. However, with slow, controlled breathing (using either deep or shallow breaths) I can “manage” the problem and eliminate the fear that I may be starving for oxygen.  Unfortunately, this “band-aide” temporary fix requires constant attention or else I find myself trying to yawn again.

FATIGUE: I do not necessarily feel tired, but I am not operating at peak levels when having this problem. Some have stated that the constant yawning causes them to be tired.  I wonder if the actual “cause & effect” is not the reverse of this, meaning that there may be some ailment that causes the body to feel tired (either real or imagined) which causes the desire to yawn constantly.

MUCUS: Some (maybe on another thread on this site) indicated that they had to blow their noses often. I had this problem only during the worst stages of this problem. During mild-to-moderate levels of this problem I do not have any problems with sinuses, stuffiness, runny nose, etc.
I've posted before about getting relief from a chiropractic adjustment which seemed to help stop this feeling of not being able to get a deep satisfying breath every few minutes; however, after thinking further, I took an over the counter plain old decongestant for a few days to combat some mucus in my lungs about the same time this happened. I hadn't taken a decongestant for many, many years. I am wondering if there is some side effect to removing moisture from the body which might cause this breathing problem. I stopped taking the decongestant around the same time as the chiropractic adjustment, so now I don't know which helped. I have noticed in this forum and a few others that a common denominator seems to be many taking allergy pills from the doctor or over the counter. It seems everything that is pharmaceutically made has umpteen side effects. My problem stayed only a couple weeks, but it was terribly unnerving and uncomfortable, which leads to anxiety. I agree with the poster that said it is not just anxiety, breathing incorrectly, that is causing this.   Take a look at those allergy meds, if they have decongestants, and if you are able to get off of them, see if that yawning-inability to take a deep breath-feeling goes away after a few weeks of getting it out of your system.  
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME THING I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR ABOUT 2 YEARS NOW AND STILL NOTHING HELPS I DO IT SOME MUCH SOMETIMES THAT I GET PAINS IN MY RIBS AND STUFF SOMEONE PLEASE HELP:(
Turn off the Caps Lock and stop eating gluten. Problem will be solved in couple of weeks.
I had this problem in my late 30s, then it just went away. It's back now, in my late 50s. I've noticed that it doesn't occur when I'm busy doing something. But if I walk up a flight of stairs and think about whether I'm breathing hard, I may experience it, even though I'm not breathing hard! If I walk up the same flight of stairs while I'm talking with someone or thinking about something else, I don't experience it.

If I have a beer, it's gone! If I'm engaged in a good conversation, it's gone. If I'm engaged in a conversation that's tiring and I wish would end, it may come back.

So far, the best treatment I've found, other than beer, is vigorous exercise.
I have had the same sensation. The feeling of trying to yawn and not either being able to yawn or the feeling returns soon. I think in my case it has to do with muscle tension in the upper back. Often after a visit to my chiropractor this goes away. But the very best way is to visit a massage therapist. But there is another thing to consider that I discovered while I was reading through these...ergonomics. I noticed that I was looking down at my laptop with my head tilted down with my chin almost on my chest! Now imagine I do this for hours at a time!! People, our computer monitors are 8 inches lower than they should be!  Think about it...how can we breath naturally and normally with our chins on our chest for hours. Sit up tall and keep you head straight ahead and sees what happens!
Likewise I have the same problem and have been suffering from it for about 2 weeks now. I am in excellent health, am an elite runner, 55 years old, female. Although the breathing problem is a pain, it does not affect my athleticism. But it is very frustrating having to take deep breaths every minute or so, often having to appear as a yawn when in public (embarrassing). I am not suffering from any anxiety, I eat really healthy and my weight is good. I do not take any medications. The one thing that seems to have arisen simultaneously is a knot in the muscles in my back under my left scapula. I've had the issue with the muscle knots in the past, unassociated with the breathing, and I am working on getting those resolved. I'm hoping that with the resolution of that issue the breathing one will also go away?
One other thought I had early on was that there were several celebrations that happened close together in which I made some rich chocolate cakes with high quality chocolate. I ate much more chocolate than usual and I was at first attributing the breathing issue to the excess chocolate consumption. And it is true that the symptoms diminished the further I got away from eating chocolate. But I am still suffering and the muscle knot is getting worse.
That's what I can contribute so far. I will post again if I find any changes or helpful suggestions.  
hi
I have exactly the same symptoms and its driving me crazy. I have a history of respiratory system diseases since my teens: sinus and bronchitis.
also I noticed that my saliva and mucus  is very sticky and stringy  and im sure that must be the cause of the need to take deep breaths and constant yawning. Also panic attacks esp in winters. have scoured the net for similar problems and I think n all this is related to hyperventilation. Im hyperventilating ie. breathing in larger volumes OR  faster than needed for metabolic activity. Im trying some Butyeko exercises by trying to increase my control pause (time between 2 consecutive breaths ) and it does help to some extent, (basically increasing ones tolerance for CO2 )
Also I went to a physiotherapist from PRI, who told me that my stiff posture and hyperextended back were making me "kinda stuck in inhalation" posture, where regular rhythmic exhalations are impaired  due to such stiff posture. their exercises are also helping, I just started a month ago and hoping to get results. check if u have a PRI therapist and maybe postural correction exercises in addition to breathing exercises wud help.

best luck and u are not alone .... we all will share our experiences and help eachother out of this horrid nightmare
hari
These are all symptoms of "HIATAL HERNIA" ...
The stomach is pushes up into the diaphram and causes a feeling of "unsattisfying breath" or shortness of breath sometimes without exertion.
This feeling is worse after eating a meal. Often people also notice mild to moderate acid reflux and sensitivity to pepermint. Hiatal Hernia affects many people for various reasons, sometimes over exertion such as wieght lifters or sonetimes in overweight individuals, or sometimes even just older age. This can be confirmed with CT scan followed by EGD (esophagogastroduodenoscopy)
Where a GI doc uses a scope to look down your esophagus at your stomach(under sedation if u wish).
Im 18 years old and I've been dealing with a contasnt need for air, like I'm always taking deep breaths and recently its been really bad. I was diagnosed with severe asmtha, as my inhalers don't cut it, it's still not enough. and sometimes i can't breath and my vision goes spotty. And sometimes my body gets numb, if been researching all day, and i need answers or help:/ i had no where to turn beside to comment on this.
i need to mention this to everyone that guys take it easy i suffered from the same issue n finally got to knw that it was a heredity problem for me our mind make us think that the oxygen supply is nt good enough n we face problem in breathing but this is nt the reality try to make urself occupied with the things u love to do n u wont even realise u hve any problem
n the sol for this is  a good psychiatrist
if u still face problem feel free to ask
Hi i have exactly the same i can not get  a sufficient breath( im new to this site so not quite sure if you will get this) im 18 too although ihave had this for anumber of years it comes on and off, recently i went to the doctors and they gave me inhalers but they dont work so i know what you mean let me know if you get this message please
I just started to have this problem for the past 3 weeks and it's really a torture for me. Basically my whole life seem to have ruined and I have a sore jaw from constantly trying to yawn...I never had this problem for the past 33 years of my life...
I have had this for a while. I think it has to do with acid reflux and suppress stress because we are all strong. I think it really does have physical effects however I do often use cleaning products that have strong scents and it didn't start until then. docs said sometimes stomach acid can go down the wrong pipe when you sleep.  id feel like i was suffocating when id wake up from my sleep.  It's funny, because they do think you're crazy but I was put on two things that seemed to help. One was Carafate which is for healing ulcers. And the second I think started with an O that suppresses stomach acid. A lady told me to sleep sitting up that help the most.  the way I got control was breathing techniques where I breathe from my stomach. You have to do exercises where you hold your hand on your stomach and breathe where that rises instead of your chest. Regularly exercising like that. It is almost like I have to Retrain my brain :)  I know I'm not crazy at all, but I'm sure stress can activate it. I think i do a good job processing stress,  however suppressed stress, even the slightest amount, can have affects like this.  I'm really all have something, I know it's not in our heads. I have a problem with doctors because 30 years ago they misdiagnosed something as anxiety and it was some disease that paralyzed the left side of my body and made me lose my ability to speak. They said it had to do with my brain and they caught the tiger by the tail but I was telling Them my problems for three months before that part happened.  So I have some faith in them, but I know they don't know everything because they are just humans who studied a lot, ha. Good luck.
thanx for suggesting this HIATAL HERNIA... i searched google and the description fits exactly what seems to be happening with me... it sure is something obstructing the lungs... will carry on the research from here... thanx again... must tell you there are thousands of unanswered questions related to this topic... you must start a consultancy dedicated to this problem if (or even if you are not) a medical professional  :)
I am a very healthy person as well and just suddenly this breathing issue came 4 days ago.  I am not an anxious person nor do I smoke or have any other health related issues.  I have no background of health complications in my background.  My breathing got so bad the other night that we had to go to the ER because my whole body was shaking, I was feeling faint and my heart rate was going up and down.  My blood pressure has also been up and down a little.  They did many tests, said my potassium was low, gave me some meds, and sent me home.  It happened again the next day and I have this constant feeling of needing to take a deep breath.  I doesn't go away.  I went back in to the MD and this time they did a CT scan and said I may have Valley Fever.  I am now waiting on the test results for Valley Fever.  I have no other symptoms of VF or pneumonia but the CT scan showed nodules in my lung which points to infection in the body.  I feel like no one really knows what is going on with my body as I've never had any complications in the past.
I have the answer.

This "random shortness of breath"/constant urge to yawn/can't get relieving deep breath/ ect. started 6 years ago when I was in college. I thought I was pregnant and felt I needed to keep my stomach tight and tucked in. I was scared that I was showing! Haha turned out to be something completely different but that whole instant changed my breathing habit (little did I know)

4-6 years after that I've been to multiple doctors. All saying I may have anxiety or "silent reflux"   So currently I'm on acid reflux stuff. Problem still didn't go away though and I was obsessing over it as it spiraled me into depression and exhaustion. I started reading though all these articles until I kept coming across the "diaphragmatic breathing. " it's the natural way we are supposed to breathe. Not raising your shoulders and straining your neck. Push out your stomach as you inhale and suck in stomach as exhale. It doesn't need to sound as dramatic as that. As an example of how this can work is lay in bed slightly sitting up comfortably and put a hand over your stomach. Watch your hand go up and down gently over and over again and relax. Realize how the frequent urges fall shorter and shorter.

Throughout the day try and remind yourself to keep your stomach relaxed. And utilizing the diaphragm instead of upper body to breathe. When you "need" to take a deep breath, USE YOUR DIAPHRAM you'll see how much more relieving it is!!!

This isn't for everyone...don't rule out going to the dr. But please, at least try the laying in bed thing I mentioned and relax as you use your Diaphram calmly. This was my first article, hope I couldn't help even one person.
Could* help... Not couldn't lol
I have been suffering with this exact issue for years. I am convinced that I have identified the source. Caffeine. I would constantly be woken up in the middle of the night desperate to catch my breath, or it would happen at work or basically anywhere else.
Most recently, I was studying for an exam for my job. I was trying to stay up late, so drank a large cup of coffee late at night. Upon eventually going to bed, I had an absolutely horrible battle with breathlessness. I did research, thinking I might have been on to something. It turns out this is a known side effect to individuals with caffeine sensitivity. I have since cut down dramatically on my caffeine intake and my issues have all but disappeared.
I really hope others get the chance to read this and it helps them. I know how horrible this feels.
I am a 56 yr old female and a smoker ( 1/2 pk a day and needless to say i am quitting again). I would occasionally have issues with this need to breathe deeply/urge to yawn on and off for most of my life, but it might last a day and then was gone. This is always accompanied by the feeling that my bra is suddenly too tight even though I have gained no weight. This time it started the morning after my husband and i returned from our first vacation in 7 years. I was getting stuffed up on the plane but then i suffer from almost chronic nasal congestion and have a bad habit of using OTC nasal sprays. (Yes, have to get back on that Neti pot). But the fact is i was fine the entire time i was away. There were some very stressing issues that occurred as soon as we got home and i don't know if any of that is related but the problem hit when i woke up the day after coming home. That was a week ago and the need to yawn and not be able to complete it occurs every few minutes and is exhausting and causing major anxiety but xanax really doesn't help unless i take at least a full mg and that is simply not an option except for sleeping. I do notice, as some other posters have mentioned, that if i am involved in something i enjoy doing the problem seems to go away. Still, I have to go to work, I have to continue with the mundane tasks of life, and this condition is making that nearly impossible. I went to the doctor yesterday. Blood oxygen levels at 98, lung sounds ok. He did a nebulizer treatment and gave me an albuterol inhaler and singulair and neither is helping. He said that sometimes environmental allergens can irritate muscles and that may be causing the constant need to yawn. I read about a research study that claims yawning is the body's way of cooling the brain so i tried something that probably sounds really dumb. I started putting ice packs on the nape of my neck and the sides of my neck and on my face at the corner of my jaw. This is supposedly where the nerves and muscles that control the yawn reflex are located. While it appears to help a little bit, i cannot walk around all day with ice packs on my face and neck! I am going to call my dentist today and then i may try the chiropractor. I am at my wits end.
...
Same problem here.  22 year old male.  Very active.  Healthy diet.  Chronic nose congestion from deviated septum and allergies, causing a lot of mouth breathing esp. while sleeping... wondering if this causes the issue.
hi,
41 Yo male, non-smoker, not overweight, reasonably fit.
Well this is a torture.
I had this around 15 years ago and now its returned like a bolt from the blue. I had actually forgot it existed.
In the past I used to only get it after a night out, the next day grasping for air all day, definetly an alcohol relationship existed at that time.
This time, its every day since last 3 weeks. Definetly not mental anxiety, I am very relaxed person at a relaxed point in my life. This is a physical need for yawn/deep breath to satisfy my body.

So, here's what I know. I do have some upper back pain, just recently noticed, maybe it is a spinal issue.
When you are tired, its more prevalent, if you have a really good nights sleep, it doesnt seem as severe.
At night, whilst I sleep, I dont need to wake yawning for air.
Yawning at the same time as a deep breath is satisfying, leading me to believe a muscular force at work.
My peak air flow is high @ 800-850ml, no lung congestion,  and large volume of air is available from my lungs,  so not like an asthma issue which has very low air flow typically.
I am quite sinus, always been like that, high mucus production. Someone else mentioned gluten, I always avoided in past as mild IBS, recently I eat it again, could be connected.

So, in a logical method, I will do this, and let you know how it works out.
step 1. Get my upper back pain corrected by chiro, and guage results after that.
step 2. Stop the gluten, which in theory will reduce my mucus production.

I will wait to see how the chiro goes before cutting the gluten to identify the trigger easier.

Keep the faith!

I feel the sale, please let me know if any one has found the trick to treat or manage the deep breath issue. can be contacted at ***@****
I have been reading all of your posts and it sorta seems like what I have. I've had this problem as long as I can remember and it's never gone away. I can breathe  fine for about 2 or 3 breaths but then I feel like I have to take a deep breath. It almost feels like a valve is stuck and I have to sit there with my mouth open until the breath gets there. Also another problem I have is my fiancé can't put her head on my chest or even her arm on me or I feel like I can't get my deep breath. I've had tests done when I was a child but they all said I was fine. I've had an asthma test and that came back negative as well. I work construction so I'm outside all day and it really don't bother me unless it's really humid. I'm not overweight somewhat in shape. I've been thinking maybe lead blood poisoning. Any thoughts?
Okay guys.. ive had this problem for almost 10 yrs now.. and it has gotten lot worse in the past couple month... i had to visit hospital because i also have indigestion problem.. i was diagnosed with gerd and learned that inflammtion could cause this problem... dont stop reading yet... basically my symptoms got worse while taking medicine...heres what i have found out... the treatment you get for gerd is usually an acid blocker.. which means it lowers your rate of acid production.. there are so many over the counter products similar to this.. the thing is that if you block your acid our body will not intake vitamin b12.. b12 is essential for our body to maintain normal oxygen level..if you are already suffering from not being able to take a deep breathe.. this is something you need to think about.. stop taking acid blockers.. tums... zantac... etc and for those that think this breathing problem is related to indigestion... well... it can be but dont make it worst by eating healthier stuff only... if you are.. you should research very carefully to make sure you are taking enough b12 and iron... often we get our b12 from meat...unless you are eating fortified milk and stuff..ive got lot better ever since i start eating meat again... and enough iron from Fruits... i hope you guys do some research on this vitamin thingy n get better asap... god bless all and let me know if you need help
Go get your iron checked! I had this problem for 3 flippin years and it turned out I was iron deficient. If you Google the relationship between anxiety and iron deficiency you will find it. I was healed after 2 weeks on iron supplements! I can finally breathe hallelujah!!  But, don't just start taking iron. Get your levels checked first. You could jack yourself up if you take iron when you don't need it.

God Bless!
Iam 24 and had this issue for 2 years now and it is the worst I've had every possible test done multiple times!!! In and out of the hospital multiple of times!!!! Its an on going thing!!! Seems like I've tried everything but nothing seems to work. I have panic attacks due to me thinking that I cannot get enough air it bothers so much to the point where I can barely eat sometimes iam just fed up of feeling like this!!  My doctor said its anxiety and wants to put me on meds for it I refuse to though. I do realize that when iam less stressed and not thinking about it I feel ok still there but not as bad. But if anybody wants to contact me so we can help each other out feel free to email me @***@**** I was also going to research hyperventilation syndrome. Don't give up guys stay positive!! :)