Respiratory Disorders Community
Constant cough??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Constant cough??

I've had this cough for almost three months now. I know others that are dealing with it as well....it's definitely productive but it wears me out!! Anyone else dealing with this  cough that's going around? Any ideas, tips? I am so tired of having it..started as a cold, and the other symptoms went away except for the cough.

This discussion is related to Constant Prolonged Cough - 4 Months now.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The other causes for long term cough besides asthma are GERD and post nasal drip from allergies. GERD is gastro esophageal reflux disease where the stomach acids come back into the esophagus and spill into the windpipe causing cough. Treatment with antacids will help neutralize the acids. Post nasal drips can occur with sinusitis and throat infections. Giving up cigarettes will abolish smoker's cough in 90% of people. Talk to your GP about the other causes for cough in the meantime you could try warm salt water gargles and breathing exercises.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.