Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Constant phlegm in throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Constant phlegm in throat

I am 49 year old female.
About 2 months ago I started to develop a feeling as if something is "stuck" in my throat. I then started constantly clearing my throat. Shortly after things got worse and I also developed constant mucus/phlegm which is clear-colored and almost thick as gum. I went to the ENT which suggested my symptoms are related to acid reflux and prescribed Prevacid. After a month on the medication, I felt no improvement at all. It seems as though the situation only deteriorated as I'm now also having a bit of trouble breathing. I also went to a gastroenterologist who performed an endoscopy which came out clear and insisted my condition is not related to the stomach considering the endoscopy results and the prevacid that had no positive effect. I am now totally confused as it seems both doctors have failed to diagnose my condition.
What should I do next? Are there other possible causes? What else could this be related to? Could the gastroenterologist be incorrect?

One more thing I should mention: A few months ago I was diagnosed with arthritis (after severe joint pain in my hands). I started treatment slightly after the condition in my throat has begun, so I'm not sure if it's related.

Thanks in advance,

Rachel
The recent onset of any symptom, not previously experienced, requires a thorough evaluation until the cause is determines, with reasonable certainty.  That adage applies to your situation. The feeling of having something stuck in one’s throat can develop on the basis of physical disease or on an emotional basis but the latter is almost never accompanied by “constant mucus/phlegm.”

You made the right decision to see the ENT but if his/her examination did not include a CT scan of your sinuses and direct examination of your pharynx (the area above your tonsils, directly behind the nose; an area not visible by looking through one’s mouth) and larynx, then the examination was not complete.  That is especially important since confirmation by the gastroenterologist that reflux is not the problem.  In addition, while the feeling is, of something stuck in your throat, the disease causing that feeling could actually be further down, in your chest.  Thus, chest disease should be ruled out, at minimum by a chest X-ray and, if an upper airway cause is not found, by a CT Scan of your chest.

A number of disease processes can cause the combination of feeling of something “stuck” in the throat and excessive mucous production and these include:  tumors (benign and malignant), nasal or sinus polyps, inflammation with or without infection and diseases of the blood vessels.

If you have not had the examinations by the ENT, noted above, you should request that they be performed.  If no abnormality is found or no diagnosis forthcoming following the ENT reevaluation, you may want to check with the gastroenterologist to ask if any GI disease, other than reflux, could be causing your symptoms and if any further GI testing is warranted.  You might also ask the GI doctor if you could have swallowed something, such as a bone, lodged in the esophagus and not visible on the endoscopy.   If there is still no answer, you should have a chest X-ray and/or chest CT Scan to rule out disease in the lungs or adjacent structures..

Good luck, both in finding a diagnosis and having it treated
Thank you.
I would like to point out that the ENT did perform some kind of test by inserting a tube in my throat. He mentioned there was Edema in my throat which is believed to be caused by acid.
I have started taking Nexium 40mg twice a day. How long should it usually take to see any relief or improvement assuming my symptoms are related to the stomach?
Could it be that this was not detected by the endoscopy?
Should I continue to use the medication and wait for relief or should I proceed with other tests? I try to be especially cautious when it comes to unnecessary CT / X-Ray scans, especially since I've already had a CT scan this year (since I was diagnosed with arthritis).
mucus after meals
avatar
sunild1204 posted:
Excessive coughing-mucus after eating/mucus after meals
===========================================
During Acidity /GERD I faced another issue. After each meal I started to spill out these small thick spits/or mucus which would last for around 1 hour after each meal. Guys this is really strenuous, as I was facing one problem after another.
I called up my doctor to find why this was happening and her first question was, did I had cough/cold recently?. I remembered yes just 1-2 days back I had this cough issue which has subsided without taking any pills as I was already on treatment for GERD/Ulcer. Now this is what happened as per my observation. During GERD treatment I had developed constipation problem which had probably caused my bowel movement to shut down and hence it looks like there was no way the excess mucus could get out of body so it was trying to come out through mouth.
My doctor suggested following antibiotics which would kills the mucus.
1)Tablet ZIFI 200 Mg (CEFIXIME tablets) 1-0-1
2) syrup Alex (Nasal,decongestion,Antialergic) 1-1-1 1-2 Tablespoon after meals

I think, in order to get rid of this issue you must make sure that you have good bowel movement and if for some reason not then please consult doctors if they could advice you some form of LAXATIVEs to help you clean up your body /Bowel.
I tried Aerius (antialergic) pills for a few days, there was no relief. I'm now on Nexium for a few days but still don't feel any relief.