Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Constantly clearing of my throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Constantly clearing of my throat

Last year, I quit smoking.  I went on several supplements including the gum, lozenge and inhalor.  I started having the throat issue then.  It would come and go once in a while.  I started smoking again and after a while, it seemed to go away.  After a few months it came back.  This past April I quit again and it came back strong and worse then it did before.  It would then come and go as before.  It seemed to subside.  I just quit again and now it's come back just as before and after seeing the doctor who gave me no clue as to what it is, i'm ready to try anything.  I've tried the gargling thing, I've tried antihistamines and nothing.  I do not have post nasal drip nor do I have reflux.  I have no allergies to speak of.  The dr was of no help thus far.  All he did was tell me that I do not have throat cancer.  Some clearings produce no mucus and others produce great deals of it.  I am also a singer and it truly affects this as well.

HELP??????
This is a most uncommon but well documented response in a small minority of those who quit smoking.  That is, an increased production of mucus from either the upper or, most commonly, the lower respiratory tract.  It is not understood why this happens.  You may want to look at our information on Giving Up Smoking at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/wellness/smoking/index.aspx for ways to help you smoke no more.

Despite your not feeling it, you may be having postnasal drip.  You should have a chest x-ray and probably a CT scan of the sinuses.  You should also seek careful examination by an ENT specialist.  The most important thing is to be absolutely sure you do not have any type of tumor, anywhere in your respiratory tract.
you may have sinusitis...maybe you should have your sinus checked out with xrays just to be sure this is not the cause of your symptoms       good luck
HI there...my 5 year old (almost 6 year old) son has been showing signs of constantly clearing his throat and slightly grunting occasionally doing so. I first noticed about 9 months ago that his eyes were so sore and constantly bothered him --sometimes to the point fo swelling and that he couldn't open them. The doctor then said it was a condition due to our cold winters (we are in northern alberta).....he prescribed drops and it seemed to help. We moved into a new house in January, and gutted it--so there is a lot of dust and old pet hair etc. so I assumed that this throat clearing business was due to that.....but he frequently gets headaches and has now had swollen glands for like 5 weeks or more. I took him to the doctor and he did a blood test to check for "foods and inhalents"....some sort of allergy test....he said we will just keep and eye on things but what else could this be....do you think its a post nasal drip thing or allergies? I am really stuck and very concerned!! can anyone shed some light on this?
thanks
as mentioned above....the test for inhalents and foods came back negative...so I am at a loss.........any ideas out there?