Respiratory Disorders Community
Continue to Puzzle Doctors

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Continue to Puzzle Doctors

This past July, I ended up in the ICU as the result of Respiratory Failure due to Pneumonia.  An array of test were performed and no reason was found for my illness.  I was released on medication after a rather quick recovery (4 days).  One month later I was readmitted to the ICU with a blood oxygen level of 64% at rest and again in Respiratory Failure due to Pneumonia.  Test, x-rays, CT scans and a procedure completed taking fluid out of my lungs a lung tissue samples.  Again, nothing was found.  Current x-rays there is no fluid on the lungs.  While breathing is easier, upon activity, I struggle for breath.  Climbing one flight of stairs and I am extremely winded, as is when I lift.  Running is out of the question totally.  My Doctor ordered a stress test to try to find some answers.  While my heart is fine, the stress test was ended early due to a sudden drop in my blood oxygen level and shortness of breath.  The Doctor performing the test stated that although my heart seems fine, something is wrong.  My Doctor has now ordered more tests and CT scan that were already performed.  

Any ideas on what tests I should have ( current location cannot perform all types of tests, smaller hospital)?  What could be causing this problem.  Previous tests also indicated no Asthma.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The fluid accumulation in the lungs is called pleural effusion. This can cause breathlessness. It occurs in pneumonias, lung cancer, breast cancer and lymphomas. It can also occur in cardiac failure, liver failure and nephrotic syndrome. The cause needs to be narrowed down with investigations; only then further therapy can be planned.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.