Respiratory Disorders Community
Copious mucus production

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Copious mucus production

I have had serious problems with large amounts of mucous production several times a year for many years. It is worsening as I get older. Sometimes foods appears to set it off, weather, and god knows what. I hate to whine about this but it gets so bad that I literaly have vomited on several occasions trying to cough it up. I feel as though I am going to drown in it literally!  Beleive me suffocation would not be a pleasant way to go. I am not being a drama queen I promise. I am an RN and have done my own research as well as seen several EENT"s without finding a med that I have been given that helps to much of a degree. Most of the time the MD's are only prescribing OTC meds.Even I as a prfessional have not been able to convice them of the seriousness of this condition. Can you suggest a strong prescription Rx as well as some pointers on helping to get this diagnosed.? I am exhausted! P.S. I am not a smoker.

This discussion is related to Eating food causes excess mucus.
my daughter has just had a bout. It appears to be an allergic reaction. I am yet to find if a herpes kiss virus is behind it. All the best.
I too am an RN though now retired. I have lympedema in my lower legs , All of a sudden I get a copious amounts of clear sputum ropy nasal discharge and it gags me to the point I sometimes vomit , Very unpleasant . It will go away after taking 50mg of benadryl  but I'm not entirely sure that is what helps, I also take LA Mucinex to help thing secretions