Costochondritis and Shortness of Breath
For the people who posted on another thread about constant yawning and not feeling like you get a good breath, has anyone been diagnosed with possible costochondritis?  I have had pain in the right chest wall for 15 years and all of a sudden now I have shortness of breath.  My doctor gave me a shot of Torodol and told me if it did not fix the inflammation and shortness of breath in a few days to come back.  Has anyone else has this that can tell me something about the ailment of costochondritis?  I tend to agree with my doctor that this is what I may have although my symptoms have not gone away.  My right chest feels swollen.  I have had a lot of scans over the years and nothing has turned up.

This discussion is related to Yawning and Shortness of Breath.
I have been diagnosed with Costochondritis. It has been almost 2 years of absolute hell. Can't breathe, can't yawn and have pain in the ribcage. Feels like someone is ripping the ribcage open. Am totally housebound because of it. Have done the anti inflammatorys, pain killers, Pain Managment, etc. No better. Has your Doctor been able to give you a course of treatment? If so, please share. I am desperate. I can be mailed at ***@****
Thank you!
I also suffer from Costochondritis and on and off feel the urge to YAWN.  It is so hard to go on with daily activities.  Often I just feel like giving up.  It is so torturous. I can't stand it!   I feel like I have a plasic bag on my head with 2 little holes by my nostrils.  The relief I get when I finally achieve my yawn doesn't last long before I struggle again.  The pain in my ribs are one thing but also the pain in my neck and jaw from continuously trying to "catch that yawn" are even more annoying.  Even then, the pain is nothing compaired to the need to breathe.  I get weak from trying.  Sometimes I just cry cause it won't stop.  On the days that I do feel ok, I find myself thanking God for a "good day of breathing".  I sure wish there was a cure.  It seems that with today's technology there would be something to help this other than IBUPROPHEN!
I have suffered from costochondritis for nearly 30 years and it's inflammation of the cartlidge beween your ribs where they come together in the front of the chest. In my case It's  caused by  degeneration or damage to vertabras in the cervical spine and the pain radiates around my rib cage on the right side to the centre of my chest. The cartlidge swells up when its really bad and feels like a sausage shape about 4" long
I lay down and rub arthritis cream onto the sore and swollen part and it helps a bit but I do get breathless when it flares up and it hurts like hell. Probably the breathing problems (just like you guys describe it) is more upsetting than the pain.
That's what it is -- how to fix it is something else. Incidentally the one who found out that it originated in my spine was a chinese herbalist who I went to in absolute desperation after all the doctors failed me.
The best relief is to get someone to rub along your backbone and feel the sore vertabra (you will yell when they do) and rub it firmly and massage arthritis cream into it. That definately helps but boy it hurts. Best of luck. Kev
Having costochondritis could an ailment be pain in the back, both sides just below your shoulder blades. Like a muscle ache?  
I was also diagnosed with Costochondritis however the pain on the chest isnt that bad its more to do with my breathing.
The only reason why I actually went to the hospital was because I couldnt breathe +  I thought it was something to do with my hart. Does anyone know if its is related ?
I hope this might help someone.  I have been suffering from similar symptoms for about 10 months.  I always felt like I had to yawn and couldn't get a satisfying breath.  My neck, back, & chest were always sore.  After tons of research and trying different things, I found something called "Chronic Hyperventilation Syndrome"or HVS.  I didn't feel like I was hyperventilating, but when I looked up the symptoms, it was like a check list of everything I had been feeling.  I also found that HVS can cause Costochondritis.  This is what I thought I had the whole time.   There is a book called "Self Help for Hyperventilation Syndrome" written by Dinah Bradley.  I picked one up on Amazon for about $12.  She gives breathing excercises that retrain your body to breath from your diaphram.  I was totally shocked that within 1 week of doing the excercises my yawning was gone.  It has been 2 months now and no more frequent yawning.  I am still dealing with the tension in my neck & upper back, but she also recommends doing relaxation techniques to get rid of that.  I wish I could have found this information months earlier.  I hope this helps someone!
I have been suffering from occasional pain in the mid chest when doing chest excercises or laying or stretching a certain way. This has been going on for almost a year. I recently have been feeling an occasional heavyness while breathing, also frequent yawning and the feeling of not being able to catch a good breath. I have always had an anxiety problem so I automatically thought I had a heart problem. I am very relieved to see that I am not alone with all of these symptoms. Also, I have seen three different kinds of doctors which gave me X-rays, EKG, and blood work, still no answer to what it is. I had to pretty much diagnose myself. Seeing all of you with the same problems makes me feel a lot better. Thank you
I am so glad for this forum! I have this swelling and ripping pain in my chest in the center of my breast bone. Sometimes its so bad I can't straighten up or stretch. It been 10 years. I've had every test including rumatoid arthritis. Doctors find nothing. Recently its been harder than ever to get a deep breathe and I've been feeling lathargic and fatigue. If I make a doc appointment if will be the same old hoop jumping for nothing..what to do?
I've been suffering with this for years..only once in a while with the breathing until lately....now if I do anything strenuous I can't breathe for about 3 days...moltron isn't working like it used to or the heating pad...
Have you considered one of the spondyloarthropathies?

Chronic costochondritis with swelling with negative bloodwork is a hallmark.

The two subtypes I've heard of without sacroiliitis are Undifferentiated SpA and SAPHO Syndrome.

Good luck!
15 years of shortness of breath... chest pain and trying to "catch the yawn". I am not alone. .. cheesy pain so bad Monday they admitted me over night ekg, stress tests. .. all negative. Never once did I hear about costro... Self diagnosed at this point but it's nice to know I am not alone. ***@****
I can relate to how you are feeling...that having to yawn a *lot*...(not tired per se) but simply trying to get the intake of air...to...*actually* go all the way down and 'catch' or 'take'...it just doesn't! I also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome..which seems to also be a common thread for having costochondritis. EDS is a connective tissue disorder/ also known as (collagen)..and collagen, is throughout the whole body, therefore causing a whole lot of problems!...I am hoping my Dr. is going to help me figures  ongoing problem out! it has never lasted this long (about 3weeks straight, so far)  As with many EDS related issues, I am having to try to determine what/which is the likeliest answer...post me back if you like :)
Hi Kev, That describes my symptoms exactly, for years I have been going to physiotheripsts thinking it was a vertebrae out, it helped a little. Then I decided to put my symptoms on the computer and was amazed that other people had exactly what I had. I find I get a flare up if I lift heavy objects. At the moment I am managing it, but still have the need to get a deep breath. Now I can go to Dr and tell them what I have. Thank you so much for solving my years of not knowing. LMC
I know you have an old post, but I too have costochondritis and not so much the rib pain as the breathing, i am going to see a gastroendronoligist just to make sure it is not my esophegus because i suffer from GERD as well, I have had  issues with breathing for about five months now, cant seem to get in a deep breath of air, its more prominent after doing or while doing activities such as cleaning or yard work. I always have to yawn to get a deep breath in, my husband asks me what i am tired for all the time but i tell him its the only way i can get air into my lungs, it does not last for long but i feel i am out of O2 sometimes. thanks for this blog site, cause at least i know its not something really seriously wrong with me.
Hi!

Last June, my lower back went into complete spasm, and I was bedbound for weeks.
When I was nearly better, I began having excruciating pain in my sternum, and again was bedbound.
I eventually got to my orthopedist who diagnosed it as costochondral separation.  A week later I was in the ER, where they dx it as costochondral separation,  and said it should be treated with pain pills.
It has now improved considerably, but is still painful at all times.  It has changed from being an acute pain in one area to a milder pain thru out my chest and rib area.
Since the pain has improved, I have developed a breathing problem which has gotten steadily worse.  
This past week I went to a pulmonologist.  He sent me for a CAT scan of the chest, as well as an echocardiogram-  to rule out other problems.  However, he believes that I have arthritis of the chest, which he says can cause shortness of breath.  If this is what it turns out to be-  which I believe it is-  he will then be telling me what to do, and I will share it with others.
I was diagnosed with that and it's impossible to sleep because it wants to come alive at bedtime.
I get uncomfortable breathing and sharp chest pains.
Once the pain was so intense it felt like a heart attack, not ever having one its what i would imagine one to be.

The breathing problems also make me wake up suddenley in a panic because im short of breath.
Being outside for a certain duration can bring the effect on but even not doing anything can.

Ive taken iburophen once but it gave me abdominal pains, they were persribed by the doctor which was my first visit, i need to go back. Im not sure if i should take them again in smaller dose.

It upsets me to read people have it for years, this is killing me, i cant sleep
Hey i have the same thing, throughout the day is no big deal, but as soon as i go to bed it all starts to come alive, for me just started 2 days ago, i though it was my heart, then asthma, but  i have that pain in the sternum when i move or with oressure, pretty sure is that costro thing, im in hawaii 3 am, i crave for a night of good sleep... Any advise?
Hi did you find out what it is yet?
Brothers and sisters, i want to share with all here how God through the help of a herbal doctor by name Doctor Uwadia Anmenifo saved my life from costochondritis. Brothers and sisters, i have been suffering from costochondritis for good four years now. i have been on medications, i was having constant inflammation of the junctions and my upper ribs join the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone (sternum). Costochondritis caused me a localized chest wall pain and tenderness that was reproduced by pushing on the involved cartilage in the front of my rib cage. i saw hell for all this years i suffered from it. But brethren i have always hoped that one day if i was really created by God he will send me a cure. i have browse the internet all day and night in search of a cure. i saw so many options which i really tried, but non worked for me. Until on a day i saw a testifier of how she was cure of hemorrhoids by a herbal doctor and before then i have seen on the net people testifies of a herbal doctor who have uses his herbal remedy to cure them of various diseases and viruses. So at that stage i became interested in meeting with this said herbal doctor and i collected his contact details from one of the testifier’s testimony. And i contacted the herbal doctor. i told him all i have been passing through for long time now, and he laughed and told me that his herbs can cure my permanently and restore back my health. So he counseled me, and i danced to his tone. So i made with him all necessary arrangement and he sent me the herbs to my country with direction on how i am to take it. so i was taking it, and behold it was like a magic just a month after i started taking his herbs, all my body was receiving life again i was able to move, and started using some part of my body that i have not be able to use now for a long period of time. Brothers and sisters, as i talk with you now i am totally healed and free from Costochondritis. Please i want you all to be grateful to God for me and also Doctor uwadia Amenifo. He is really a wonderful man. in case you have related problem, or you other health challenges, and you wish to discuss and meet with the herbal doctor here is his contact details (***@****) and his telephone number is (+2349052015874). I say big thanks to all my listeners, God will also use him to solve your problem in Jesus Name, AMEN.