Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cough, congestion, mucus and foul odor
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cough, congestion, mucus and foul odor

Hi my boyfriend rarely gets sick, but has had consistent symptoms for over a week. Most congestion stems from his throat. The mucus is mostly yellow. Symptoms are tolerable. This morning he brushed his teeth and if I am within close proximity to his face, there is a foul odor. He can barely smell it at all. To me it is nauseating. We are active people and his hygiene is excellent. What could be wrong with him?
Related Discussions
242587_tn?1355427710
What you describe suggests that your boyfriend has a bacterial infection of his respiratory tract (upper or lower), an infection that will probably require an antibiotic to achieve rapid resolution.  That he can barely smell it at all suggests involvement of the nose in the infectious process.  Viral respiratory infections are much less apt to be malodorous.

Another possibility would be infection of the mouth (“trench mouth”) and throat, including the tonsils, the area adjacent to the tonsils (peri-tonsillar)  adenoids (adenoids), tongue, gums and teeth that can be contagious and dental abscess.  Infection in any of these areas is usually mostly a nuisance but they can some times be quite serious, especially in the tonsillar and peri-tonsillar areas.  

I strongly recommend that he seek medical assistance without delay, for localization and treatment of the infection, by either his primary care physician or his dentist or both.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank