Respiratory Disorders Community
Cough and loss of voice

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Cough and loss of voice

last week there was a storm that came and and my allergies started acting up. That night my throat was hurting and shortly after my nose was all stopped up. Well the next couple of days it had gotten worse. My nose, throat, head, and even my ears were hurting. Well in that time I had managed to become hoarse it became very difficult for me to speak out loud. And for a couple of days it seemed like that was getting better. But as that seemed to be going away, I developed a cough and it seems never ending I am constantly coughing. And now with the coughing I have yet again lost my voice it has became very difficult for me to talk out loud I still have a runny nose along with the cough and lose of voice  and so my question is if this is still my allergies or if it is something completely different and also if there is some over the counter medicine I can take to maybe help me clear this up.
There has been a summer virus running around our neck of the woods that seems to fit your symptoms.  Nothing will speed it up.  It need to run its course. Claritin-D worked for my husbands sinuses and Mucinex helps with thinning the mucus so that you can cough it up easier.