Cough lasting over a month
I've never had any respiratory problems before, I was never fit, but not too out of shape either. About a month and a half ago I started a diet consisting of about 900 calories a day, focusing on protein. The same day was my first day on the outdoor running trail. After doing about a mile on the trail I started coughing pretty badly, and I've had a cough ever since. It was incredibly mild at first, maybe once or twice an hour, but as of a few days ago my coughing has become incredibly frequent, maybe once every 2 or 3 minutes or so. The coughs are not painful, and feel dry. I've tried cough syrup and drops and they seem to have reduced the coughing, but not eliminated them.

I have ran and done other cardiovascular activities since and haven't had an episode like the first time, just the same amount of coughing that I normally experience. Oddly enough, if my attention is focused on squarely, like reading, I don't seem to cough at all. I'm deathly afraid I might have asthma, because I am trying to enlist in the USAF and I wouldn't be allowed. But at the same time, I don't know if I'm psychologically doing this to myself out of worry about my enlistment status.

Any tips would be much apperciated.