Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Cough produces extremely salty phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Cough produces extremely salty phlegm
I have been getting over a recent bout of bronchitis where I was prescribed Augmentin (I am on Day 6) and Prednisone short burst (finished 2 days ago) I am still coughing quite bad but the fever has broke... but as of yesterday the phlegm/mucus I am coughing up tastes extremely salty. I have not been using any type of saline spray, or gargling with salt water, so I know this is not the reason. Is it the antibiotics causing this? Or is there another reason? note: the phlegm WAS dark yellow/green, now it is very light yellow/white
The sensation of an abnormal taste, such as a salty taste is not uncommon, the causes almost always benign, including that caused by a number of antibiotics.  Should it persist after discontinuation of the antibiotic, you and your doctor should investigate for another cause.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker